Eddyline Fathom vs QCC 600X

Paddled the 600X this morning
I met the QCC600X owner this morning and we put in at a nearby lake. We spent about two hours on the water so I got a great opportunity to test out the kayak for tracking, turning and comfort.

The boat tracks very well. The lake we were on is pretty big and depending on where we were, I had the wind coming at me from different directions, which also gave me the opportunity to see what the skeg would do for me. It moves very smoothly and quickly through the water. I’m no racer, but she will certainly move as fast as I would ever need it to. It also turns nicely, though the chines are considerably softer than the Fathoms so it isn’t as solid on edge. The beam is only 21" and it responded quickly to any change in trim.

The foredeck is shallower than the Fathom’s so there was a bit less room for my legs, but not uncomfortably so, and the thigh braces were in a good place for me. The seat was a little uncomfortable - something hits a place in the back of my leg that I didn’t like, but that could be solved easily enough.

The boats handle differently but I liked them both. I’ll be thinking this over with these test paddles in mind, and I’ll have to consider other things like weight, material and my budget in order to make a choice between them.

Thanks again to all of you for your input.

this is how it starts
You begin by making a few tiny adjustments to your kayak seat.

And then you’ve suddenly got a living room filled with back bands, bungee cord, minicell foam and contact cement fumes.

You seem to be going about picking a new boat in a most logical and apparently enjoyable way.

Glad you got to demo a QCC600X.

Still pondering…
I’m still trying to decide which way to go with this, but in an effort to make price less of a factor, the nice folks at QCC just put their kayaks on sale. Until Monday the prices are discounted 20%. I think that’s the same as their usual February sale.

Pulled the trigger
I just emailed the outfitter with my decision to buy the Fathom. It wasn’t an easy decision, but I think it’s the right choice for me at this point. I’ll pick it up on Friday afternoon and I look forward to getting to know my new kayak over the next couple of months.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to share thoughts and advice!

Just got back in the Fathom
Just this week, I finally pulled the Fathom from the rack. Been paddling since ice-out, but still had not taken her out. Now I know why. Once my butt hits the seat in the Fathom, I pretty much don’t want to get in any of my other boats. I am spoiled for sure. I have not had to add or subtract anything from the Fathom to fit my frame or otherwise find any shortcomings.

Hope you enjoy your new boat. Fathoms are addicting, warning.