Eddyline Sky 10?

No :frowning:
No my car unfortunately broke down and I spent 4 hours at the dealership getting it fixed. I was very bummed about not getting to go out, but I’m going to the shop this afternoon when they open. Can’t wait!

What I can contribute
is limited from personal experience - I’ve never personally had any use for a car that wasn’t a hatch back. But we have friends who load onto sedans, and based onto the size of the car and the length of the boat I’ve seen or helped folks do the following. They all involve sliding though.

Load at an angle from the back of the sedan, onto an extra bar that slides out (usually homemade) from the front cross bar of the roof rack and sticks out about a foot or so more. Once the front is up and resting on the rack, lift up the back end.

Use the same equipment as above but slide right thru from the rear.

Put up blankets or towels to cover the rear of the trunk as well as the rear of the roof, slide up.

Use the Amagansett Roller Loader or a simile made from childrens’ bike parts to replace the second towel above. The Roller Loader has gotten pricey - making your own may be a better idea.

Spend the bucks to buy or copy the manufacturer that offers a slide out bar for the back of the rack, to help with sedans. I only know of one person who has done this though, and they weren’t impressed. Plus it isn’t transferable like the Roller Loader.

Which will work really depends on the specific rack mounts and details of the vehicle and the person. I find on the 4 wheel drive vehicle that a 12 inch step stool to finish things is not optional.

Also, I have had to get creative with straps at times to handle a boat that has a hull which wants to turn and roll right off again just as you are finishing getting the back end where you want it. I’ve sometimes run a long strap or rope thru the forward stackers, to under the perimeter line forward of the cockpit and back to my hand to hang onto loosely. When taking down, I have left the forward strap on but loose so it’ll stop the boat from fully dropping off if it tries to slide. Haven’t had to do it lately - my current boats are better behaved that way than my first sea kayak was.

I can sure understand that
A relative and his wife bought 10 ft poly boats years ago, and never looked back. They wanted boats that could fit into their big GMC van, which has no back seats; they get two boats and two bikes and all their camping gear in there, and off they go. They have a great time on Florida’s creeks and rivers and lagoons with their little boats.

However, she is now eager to demo the Sky 10 after I told her how much more efficient it is than the typical 10 ft rec boat. Not to mention prettier, too.

I’m thinking about eventually getting a van like that for my paddling, biking, camping gear. Right now, my canoe and kayak are too long to fit–that’s one reason I am also considering the Sky 10 in the future.

Thanks.
I have a yakima boat loader that has been on my car for a couple of years, but I only used it once because sliding the boat up the back of the car proved to be much easier. Now I’d like to use it with the J-loader but it is stuck and won’t come out.

Bought the Sky 10
I didn’t have time to get to the dealer 2 hrs away that has demos, so I went to my local dealer and bought the one they had on the floor. :smiley: I know I’m taking a risk buying without trying it out; however, I’ve heard nothing but positive reviews on this boat. It has the best attributes of my previous two boats, combined into one (lightweight, short in length, good performance). Plus, I can’t take my eyes off of it, it’s so gorgeous. I ordered an Aquabound Sting Ray Hybrid small shaft paddle, and I hope it comes in this week. I live 3 minutes away from an estuary launch site, so as soon as that paddle comes in I’ll be loading the Sky into my car and heading for the water!

I also need to put in a positive review for Tom at Eddyline. He answered my emails promptly and was a great help. You can sense the pride they have in their boats, and it shows in the craftsmanship and customer service.

Congratulations!!!
I’m jealous. What color did you get?

Blue
I got the blue and white (the dark blue color). It’s a really rich, dark blue… I just love it!

Really, really
jealous now. Blue would be my first choice, too.

You are going to enjoy that boat so much! Can’t wait to read your first report after paddling it.

Thank you
I can’t wait to get out on the water again! I’m trying to think of a name for the Sky. I never named my other two boats and that may have contributed to their getting sold. :wink:

Paddle’s here!
Guess who’s going out on the water tomorrow! :smiley:

You’re killing me
I was hoping that this was going to be the ‘what a great boat it’s fast maneuverable’ etc. review. I guess I can wait one more day.

Go, girl!
This is going to be an exceptionally pretty weekend to enjoy your new boat, too. I paddled yesterday on the Wekiva and Little Wekiva Rivers and the maples are turning red and the sky was that clear, vivid autumn in Florida blue.

Looking forward to reading your review. I think you’re going to love it.

Love the boat, HATE the paddle!

– Last Updated: Oct-22-11 2:03 PM EST –

I took the Sky out for a 1-hour trip on Little Manatee River, FL today. The Sky performs like a champ. First off, it was so easy to load into my car, then from the car to the water. I can literally carry it on one shoulder and have my other arm totally free. For a 5'5" not-so-strong chick, that was awesome. Picking it up is also easy, compared to the back breaking I used to endure carrying my 52 lb. Hobie. While my old canoe was the same weight as the Sky, it was 3.5 feet longer and very awkward to carry. Not so with the Sky. Just tuck it onto your shoulder and go!

The boat initially feels tippy when you get into it. It really bobs on the water... until you get comfortably seated with your seatback and foot pedals well adjusted. Then, it's a little like the Space Mountain vehicles at Disney World: cozy and zippy but fun! I do wish there was a bit more knee padding, but I can probably add that on my own.

It was breezy and there was a light chop in areas of the water, so I went against the current first then returned with it. The boat performs better in flatter water, IMO, but it did ok with the chop. My main frustration was the Stingray paddle. I really hate it. I don't know if it's because I haven't paddled in a year, but it just felt all wrong. I got a 230 cm one, which felt too long, and I was constantly adjusting to avoid big raw spots at the base of my thumbs. I'll get some gloves first and see if I'm more comfortable. Otherwise, the length of the paddle may be what's off. I'm not the best judge of that.

Back to the Sky... it was a nice trip on the water. The boat tracks pretty well, but will turn on a dime if you need it to. It's very responsive without wagging all over the place. I took a small backpack and fit it snugly just behind my seat, so that worked well. I might buy a clip-on drink holder if I can find one that'll work. Other than that, I can't find anything that's lacking in the boat.

The main test for me was carrying the boat back to the car after paddling. I was afraid that, like with my other boats, I'd be too fatigued to load the boat back up without exhausting myself. There was also an audience of about 5 people on the shore, so I thought, "Great, this might be embarassing." I tucked the paddle into the cockpit and swung that boat onto my shoulder like nobody's business. Thank goodness getting it back in the car was a breeze!

I gave the boat a quick wipe-down with a bath towel and it was acceptably clean enough to go back in the car. yay!

Yeah... I love this boat.

Glad you love your boat,
I thought you would, but I’m sorry you hate your paddle. I have an AquaBound Expedition and an AquaBound Eagle Ray, both 230 cm, and they’re both great. I don’t have the small shaft, and I wonder if that might be the problem?

I know several people who use a Sting Ray paddle and I’ve never heard anything negative about them.

I demoed the Sky 10 with my Eagle Ray, and it was great.

Great review
What you wrote about it bobbing in the water until you adjust your foot pedals reminded me of the first time I paddled my Hurricane Tampico 140. It felt very tippy until I moved the pegs closer to me. That made a huge difference.

I got some padding to put in my Tampico a while back, but decided to keep it for when I get the Sky 10.

I’m glad that you like it. Too bad about your paddle though. Eddyline makes paddles too, of course.

Bought some Yak Grips
I’m not ready to condemn the paddle until I try a few modifications, so I ordered some YakGrips which will hopefully make it more comfortable to hold. I’m going to get back out on Saturday as long as the grips come in by then.

More on bobbing
I was thinking earlier that when I owned a Hurricane Expedition 128, I had the same sensation when I first got in the water. It was stable, but it took me a few seconds to get used to it. So that, to me, sounds really good for a 10 footer. Small boats don’t have to be beginner boats. Different boats for different circumstances.

Hope the grips work for you.

Natalie
I have a Stingray hybrid small shaft for use with our rec boats and don’t have any trouble with the shaft. Something to think about - is there any chance that you’re gripping the paddle too tightly? Are you using it feathered or straight? Maybe try the other way.

If it feels too long, it probably is. I downsized from 230 to 220 for use with boats ranging from 25 to 27.5 inches wide. I’m 5’3", not too much shorter than you.

Common problem
I know gripping the paddle too tightly is a common problem, but I constantly check myself to make sure I don’t do that. I think my hands might be a tad too big for the smaller shaft. I hope the grips help with that!

Before you buy the Sky 10
We got the Sky 10’s on sale at REI and took them out for the first time. They are SUPER light weight - for this year’s model they got the weight down to 32 lbs! Amazing. For such a short boat they were fast and tracked reasonably well. They are well made and, just as they promised, don’t sink no matter what (yes, we fell over in them).

The problem we had is that we are small, kinda skinny people. The 26" width with no thigh braces meant we could not engage our legs to control the boats. This meant they felt tippier than they should. The secondary stability we felt was not so great, but the primary was affected by our size mismatch.

We figured we could retrofit and add the thigh braces after the fact. No such luck, as Eddyline informed us. They build these braces into the boat at the time of manufacture, so if you don’t get it then, forget it.

Who would have guessed THAT?!!! Doesn’t make that point on the web site.

The Rio, on the other hand, has the thigh braces as a default configuration. If you do decide to get the Sky 10, GET THE BRACES AS AN OPTION WHEN YOU ORDER IT.

It is a very, very nice little boat, but honestly, I don’t see why they don’t just put the braces in there to start with.