Elbow bursitis from paddling

Well there you have it…
The single blade gods are taking their revenge. :wink:

preventative care = Yes, but also it’s…

– Last Updated: Jul-21-13 2:37 PM EST –

time to start building up muscles both below(lower arms) and above(back, shoulder, all the upper arm muscles), take off the inner-tube around the waist(don't ask me the physical specifics..but it helps), and go with less resistance in whatever paddle you use(as mentioned)...either in the blade and/or shaft. I know this works as to a canoe paddle(more flex, less dense wood)...but don't see where it would work any different with kayak paddles/spoons.
I'm not naturally super muscle-bound, but bumping up the upperbody mass lets the muscles do the work while relaxing one's joints...instead of tensing up for power in the arms. Also allows one to shorten up the stroke and terminate it earlier...where stress on the elbow is often at its greatest. All previous mentioned crap isn't rule out doing the medical action...etc, and if like tennis elbow = additional hw to place on arms..etc.

$.01

Who worked side-by-side with doctors
throughout his career, half the time in orthopedic and rehabilitation medicine settings, you, or me?

Not you.

chiropractors are for help, but not for
diagnosis.

I’m tired of digging up references
that anyone with access to google can find on their own.

Inflammation is a key part of the process of healing. If inflammation is prevented, healing may not proceed.

In one study I saw, men with rotator cuff injuries were assigned either to a group that go just normal treatment, plus a placebo pain pill; and another group that got the same treatment, plus a powerful NSAID.

At the end of a set period, all patients were evaluated with both physical measures (Scans, etc.) and with interview and clinical exam. While the NSAID group thought they had recovered well, all objective measures showed that they were well behind the placebo group.

OK,…UMM Not sure about that!
Well I do think your recommendation to use a less aggressive blade is good advice. The first time (and worst time) was when I used a mild sized touring kayak blade on an 8 mile lake paddle. I was paddling kinda aggesive though so that probably contributed. I have NO intertube so to speak and am otherwise in excellent physical shape at 5’11" and 188lbs. I keep very fit but this recent bursitis has reared up. I did ice it after last weeks paddle and it helped tremendously in keeping the swelling and pain in check. I just don’t know about doing multi-day paddle trips? Probably have to ice it every evening.

Sure doesn’t show in your case

– Last Updated: Jul-22-13 11:05 AM EST –

Anyone who has worked with a doctor should know full well that you don't make a diagnosis and recommend treatment without seeing the patient.

Also, you couldn't know that my mother is an M.D.

Also, it's funny how you seem to know everyone else's credentials as well as their experience. How did you know the Chiropractor in question's medical credentials? You didn't.

I guess this confirms that sometimes a little information is a dangerous thing...

Chiropractors have medical credentials?
Sort of, maybe. Your mom is a good diagnostician? Maybe. Plenty of doctors aren’t. That is my point. It’s no good saying only a doctor can diagnose, when doctors aren’t that reliable at it.

You think diagnosis can’t be done on the internet, or over the phone? Sometimes it can, sometimes it can’t. But if you want to insist on your way of looking at things, that’s OK.

But in this case, if I could just see the OP’s elbow on my computer screen, I would know whether he has the same thing I had. It’s that characteristic.

Paddle technique
Years ago I developed tennis elbow after a season of lots of paddling. This was mostly WW canoeing. Painful elbow, but no swelling. Started using a support brace and did some thinking about my stroke.

I used a big blade and my stroke was almost entirely a pull on the arm lowest on the shaft. Once I focused on using the hand on high on the shaft – the grip – to push forward as I pulled back with the low hand, that took a lot of stress of the elbow. After about 10 months of wearing the brace and using the “push with the high hand” technique my elbow problems disappeared. I no longer need the brace, but I do have te remind myself to push on the high side.

Perhaps that might help you.

Push-Pull stroke technique
I have seen SO MANY opinions and styles on canoe paddle stroke technique that it is dizzying! I met an native Hawaiian who is an open ocean solo canoe racer (who happens to be married to my neice) and he is a BIG believer in the push-pull stroke that basically makes your paddle stroke a nearly circular motion through the water,…NOT the more common “keep the blade perpindicular to the water for the longest distance possible by rotating your torso” method I have seen preached many times and use when I am concentrating on distance and speed. I certainly would think that the later IS more efficient for speed and distance per stroke but for endurance,… maybe not?

Stop
See a Sp[orts med MD, but also best to improve the forward stroke by not bending the elbow, which includes torso rotation. Best footage is SUP paddlers, who rotate from the toenails up.

And shorten that forward stroke
Its not a long distance power phase in the water. Its quite short!