Emergency Flares

OBJECTION!!!
YOU’RE BADGERING THE WITNESS!

oops, sorry, got carried away.

You say:“it does not have to be “directed” at an intended target, but rather swept across the horizon.”

The manuf. says:“Point the laser output end (laser aperture) toward the target”

"Move the laser line VERY SLOWLY back and forth across the target (five degrees per second or slower). This type of signaling is referred to as “scanning.”

Am I missing something here?

I think this would be a good device to use in place of a mirror (as it would work at night). I think it would not be a good device to replace aerial flares.

Just my opinion (in the last paragraph).

signalling
In my opinion,The best form of signalling on the Great Lakes or anywhere that there is boat (Oarboats, ocean going freighters or pleasure craft ) and where the coast guard monitors radio transmissions is a working waterproof VHF radio. Even a rescue plane can use the signal to find you. and you can check the weather while on land before or even while you paddle. You can also gab with friends if you wish. Get a good one I like eather the ICOM M88 or the Mark 1v. my wife carries the m88 and I carry the mark iv. both work eaqually well. The coast guard is SUPPOST TO monitor 24 hours a day . A call on a radio will get you help faster than any other means.

Best Wishes

Roy

Krousmann
Yes, you are missing the point that YOU MAY NOT HAVE A TARGET TO AIM AT!

You may simply be floating in the water and sweeping the beam in the general direction of land where you HOPE someone will see the flash.

Jim

OK
Good luck with that! Seriously.

I think this laser would be almost impossible to see in the daytime at any distance (the website specifies night use only). Even if someone happened to see it, would they have any idea it was someone in distress? Even aerial flares don’t always draw rescue assistance (oooooh look! fireworks!)

Flares are mean’t to draw the attention of other boaters or of other people who are already looking for you. They won’t be looking for you from shore. I think this device would be useful in signaling someone who you can see, but who can’t see you yet (due to darkness/distance). I think aerial flares would be better.

Scanning @5 degrees/second is slower than the second-hand on a clock. It would be very difficult to move this laser in this slow, deliberate manner if you are getting pushed around by waves etc.

From everything I have read on the site, I believe this laser would be almost useless as a device to signal a distress situation to the “outside world”. A VHF is the best tool for that purpose. Flares (as well as this laser flare) are mean’t to draw the attn. of people already looking for you, not to get the attention of people on land (which they probably will not do).

If I were you, I would try to make some kind of arrangement to test this laser to see just how useful it might be when the crap hits the fan.

Yep
Roy,

You are right! I go offshore fishing a bit, and offshore sailing a bit and I always have a VHF.

Mark

Ask yourself how will I be seen, heard
Mostly agree, but ask your brain the question who and how will see me hear me, will I be able to use it depending on what happens to me, and so on.

For example, friend of mine kept vhf in day hatch, got separated from boat, bye bye vhf.

What is waves so big can’t get hands off paddle to use it. Might be good idea to get newer one with auto distress ability.

Are you in area where no one monitors it or nearest monitor station may not pick you up, etc.