Emergency shelter

On the cheap
DIY side I have picked up a used, damaged tent, and simply cut the floor free along the tent walls. Pretty durable and even has sturdy loops sewn along the edges for stakes/tie downs.

Tom

Floor?
From the catalog photos and description, it appears that the NRS shelter doesn’t have a floor. I believe that some of the other shelters completely enclose you, like being inside a ball. Trying to hold edges down in a howling wind would seem to defeat the intent.

Portholes/clear windows
I got my husband one of the Expedition Essential ones, so I know they have holes. The sense of a clear window portion in the NRS one seems to be something a little different, though maybe it’d make more sense if I saw it in person.

I don’t think so
I know that my Valley Igloo does not have a floor or a door. Basically, you just throw it over you and your mates and sit on the bottom edges to keep it in place.

The EE version has "flaps"
The Expedition Essentials storm shelter has flaps attached to the bottom that you can put under your knees or rear to hold the shelter down, without losing any of the height.

I’ve used mine in some pretty windy conditions and it works well. The holes/vents are designed to adjust so you can control the temperature and not get too warm.

Of course as an EE retailer I’m a bit biased, but I know it’s well made, quality gear.

-Tom

Virginia Sea Kayak Center

DIY
Possible to make your own. I made a tarp from sil nylon. The material is very expensive to purchase and when I was done, I calculated that I could have bought for about the same money.

Technical fabrics are what makes it expensive. Also, unless you have decent sewing skills, the slippery material is difficult to work with and hard to roll seams to make them clean.

I use the small tarp but also bought a 4-6 person shelter.

Suz

BEACH IGLOO
Here is a site online for the igloo

http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/pages/retail/safety/VCP-Igloo.shtml