Entry Level Kayak

Tsunami
I hear used Tsunamis are seldom seen and really hard to find, because most owners hate to part with them even if they outgrow them.

Tsunami

– Last Updated: Apr-15-15 8:03 PM EST –

The kayak place said they prefer the Tsunami line for their fleet. I'm a little worried about the weight, but don't think it will be too much of a problem.

Going to look at it this weekend and hopefully talk them down from $907. Does anyone know if kayak places are firm on their prices or is there any wiggle room? I think the The kayak is only from last season.

not much room
The margin on kayaks is fairly slim for dealers, only around 30%. The Tsunami lists for around $1200 so $907 is a darned good deal which I doubt you can negotiate further. Kayaks don’t “expire” and it’s being from last year is immaterial.

Wish I had got mine for $900

probably a demo

– Last Updated: Apr-16-15 9:39 AM EST –

For that price I would guess it is a demo or blem. It should sell quickly at that price so unless you put a deposit on it I would not count on it still being there if you dawdle. When you find a good price on a popular kayak you have to jump on it. I have bought and sold kayaks for over a decade and know the early bird gets the worm.

Good post
Willow, and I agree wholeheartedly.

A note to add is that stability in kayaks is overrated. Some will go as far as to say that the kayak is only as stable as the paddler (which is true, to a point - and fishing crosses that point). While fishing, there are lots of times where the paddler is not actively paddling or where the hands are busy.

Clearly, a seaworthy open boat designed for fishing will tend to have the high initial stability that a paddler, such as the original poster, might prefer. There are several on the market and this is an area where it is best to buy something that not only meets the paddlers needs, but which works comfortably during fishing. That means it must be well trimmed, outfitted so that gear is both accessible and easily stored (and secured), and provides for decent fish management. Rec boats just will not do this well.

My last point is to reinforce about what you mentioned about cold water and weather conditions. The ocean doesn’t care about your intentions, or your preparations. If there is a point of failure, it will be found (just like you can’t hide a bad glove on a baseball team). Take every trip on the ocean seriously and you will not only be safer, but you will have considerably more fun.

Rick

priorities
It’ll help you decide if you prioritize those objectives and determine which have a bit of give, because you have a set of objectives that send you off in different directions. If fishing is your primary objective I’d think twice about getting a sit-inside kayak. But if making progress particularly in open water is more of a priority or something you’ll be doing more, I’d consider the Tsunami or another more seaworthy boat.

Priorities
Hi slushpaddler,

My main priority is honing my paddling skills, but that’s not to say I won’t drop a line on occasion.

@willowleaf- Whats a blem lol? They have 4 140’s in stock, from last years fleet I think. Plus some in other sizes.

factory second
A “blem” is a boat with a superficial blemish in the molding. Nothing that affects performance. Frankly I’m surprised any dealer is selling such a popular boat model at such a substantial discount at this time of year. Are they going out of business??

Tsunami
Definitely not going out of business! They said these were boats from last year, plus a lot of new ones already in. Going to look Saturday.

It’s a good deal
I would be seriously tempetd to pick one up at $900 for one of the kids. It’s a $1200 yak. If you don’t like it, sell it for $650 next year. At $45 a rental, if you paddle it 6 times your ahead.

It’s not a great fishing boat though. Fisherman appear to prefer sit on tops though I don’t know why. I like fishing, I love kayaking. I think (my opinion) fishing from a kayak is stupid. I will paddle somewhere, get out, and fish from the shore.

Buy a decent paddle. Aquabound stingray is a minimum.