Epic V10 Sport Surfski Beginner Notes

New hotness
You’re welcome.

Learning a ton here as well, thanks for chiming in everybody.

Wing paddle?
Yup, been using one for for almost 2 years now. I’m currently paddling an 18 foot kayak. (Artisan Millenium).

I paddled this past Friday and worked on a higher cadence stroke. Arms almost straight out and a further forward catch. Found that using a GPS helped in determining whether or not I was stroking correctly. When I was, I could maintain a faster pace than my usual (longer)stroke. Just can’t keep it going for an extended period of time. A work in progress!

Andy

V10 SPORT
$1300 seems reasonable to me, especially with it being a ‘newer’ model boat. If you’re able to buy one locally you’ll also be saving $300+ in shipping charges. You’ll also need a wing paddle right away, and an ankle leash. Get an adjustable wing, you’ll probably make adjustments as you get more comfortable in the boat. I like the epics and fenn paddles. Have fun, enjoy the ride!

Jeff

epic paddle
With the rental I had an Epic wing paddle. Fent good the 10 strokes I got right, hehe.

While I don’t think the Think Evo will be worth $1000 premium versus a used V10 Sport, will give it a shot as well. Not sure if I will fit in the seat anyway.

Will be practicing up a storm after my first lesson Wednesday. Two weeks of unlimited rentals…woohoo.

That and forward stroke videos are free to borrow during the two weeks.

Hoping to actually be able to finish the local flatwater 5 mile race on 6/25 if I get enough practice in.

first lesson down
And only one unintential swim.

Methinks I am falling for surfskis! Practiced getting back on, believe I was able to hop back in my sixth try without any boat stabilization by the instructor.

At one point after practicing various aspects of the forward stroke, was able to actually rotate and put probably 50% power for a minute or so, and the balance was there, and I was probably as moving as fast as I was in my Manitou 13 while sprinting.

I think the quest for a used one will be begin in a couple of weeks…

-B

-B

well, I went ski
And while I’m sure the Manitou 13 will be brought out from time-to-time during low water on Charles, or maybe a trip that includes beaver damn jumping, no longer shall I push it to 4.75-5 mph over 7-11 mile long races. Wooohooo!

Now to go find some waves…

Thanks to all for the help!

-B