Excess roof rack strap length?

wet arse
I thought enjoying a wet arse was a prerequisite for being a paddler?

Never noticed any door leakage via the straps. Guess I’ve got good gaskets (and I slam them in the back door anyway).

How many stops have you made…
thinking “oh crap !” the strap came untied again ??

Jack L

To be honest, I use polyester line
cut to right length, so I must rely on my wife in the passenger seat to do all the flapping and slapping.

Gotta love the strapjackets!
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/sweeper54/Kayak/P4030080.jpg

This is actually a great topic
I laugh at my buddies with the crazy long (free with rack purchase) straps. It takes them more time to wind excess strap than paddle. Check out Sherpak over-the-hull straps. They have a bunch of length options. I bought mine so we only ever have a foot or two extra. If it takes longer than 10 minutes to take-out, strap down your kayak and get going, you’re doing it wrong.

2 points to willow leaf …

– Last Updated: Jun-01-11 12:24 AM EST –

Best answer and best come-back.

I'm a throw it in the door and slam too. It never rains in Southern California so not a big deal.

Half Hitches!
I start by making a half hitch by the cam so I have a loop and a little extra (if you were to pull on the loose end of this it will come undone) then continue making half hitches (2 layers, half as much strap) wrapping the taught strap and the loose end until it’s gone at the end I’ll tuck the little loose end into the loop that remains.

this is a family forum, sir!

Sir!
May I have another, sir?

cut 'em and be done with it
Leave yourself a foot or two extra. Cut them diagonally and fuse the cut with a lighter or a very hot knife.

Not sure what I’m missing here, but…
…if no one is sitting in the seat near the door, just throw it inside and shut the door. If that doesn’t interest you, stick it under the nearest bungee. Works flawlessly for me.

pull it inside the auto and shut …
… the door on it .

Never had any water (rain) come in through the door seal that way myself , and we’ve driven through some hard rains with the excess strap inside that way .

If perhaps some rain water does try to get in like apparently it does for some others , I’d suggest just put the strap on the vertical side of the auto door instead of the top … and shut the door on it .

If you don’t like that , try rolling the window up on it .

And if you don’t like any of those suggestions , do like others have mentioned , cut it custom size length , or keep improving your method of rolling it up and stowing or wrapping all around something outside the auto … geesh !!

I make an appointment with the Moyul
and get them snipped