Exiting a capsized canoe

I may learn to roll someday…
but until then, you’ll see me on the shore bailing out my boat with daggermatt :wink:

A very good sea kayaker in our club was able to roll my Yellowstone Solo - no straps, no bags, but he did use his kayak paddle. Boat came up full of water and he immediately tipped over again, but I was still impressed.

I’m always impressed

– Last Updated: Dec-05-08 8:23 PM EST –

when I see someone roll an open canoe--- but I've never seen it done when its been full of camping equipment though

I don’t know…

– Last Updated: Dec-05-08 5:45 PM EST –

Hey Reggie!

I don't know if you're talking about me, or not?

If you are; you can be absolutely positive that this Bob is never going to try to roll any boat which has capsized in "less" than 2 foot of water, passing over a rocky shoal. I'm 6'4" tall, and about 3 foot of my body is above the gunwales when I'm in my Wildfire. Getting into position to attempt a roll would be hazardous to my head.

I'd love to see someone roll a Wildfire that isn't bagged. Not saying it can't be done; I'd just love to see it.

BOB

well, as you said above
they must not be “real canoe paddlers” heehee.

boats without bags
are actually easier to roll- the center of gravity is much lower.

As for staying upright after you roll- that’s a different story.

Eric and Matt
Learn to roll!

It has saved me from some nasty swims.

I have never met a really good open boater (paddling cl 4 or higher) who didn’t have a good roll, although I have met a few who were so good they didn’t need it.

IMO, if you are paddling whitewater, rolling is almost as essential a skill for the open boater as it is for the kayaker. If you think you might get into cl 4 or bigger water, the ability to roll is almost mandatory.

It makes everything so much easier- it is much better to just bail or dump the water in your boat after your favorite playhole, rather than swim, drag your boat to shore, etc…

And it sooo impresses the kayakers. :wink:

I’ve practiced
with my son Aaron. I use a Perception saddle only, just ankle pads in back, so I’m too loose to get all the way around until I get that hip snap worked out. Might try in Aarons Encore (full outfitting), the Whitesell (Perception with toe pegs), or the Flashback (just a feather of a boat). Thing is flat water is a lot different animal, and most of what I paddle is real rocky. Most of my kayaking friends have gotten injured being upside down. I just wannna’ have fun, that’s all.

Oh yeah, after 3 clean runs down NewBoston, including doing an ender in corkscrew, I have come to the conclusion I’ll never flip again!! Aaron doesn’t believe me ;-).

Without bags yeah
I took the bags out of my Outrage while working on the roll. It’s easier to roll without bags but a bear to paddle once you get her up.

Without good snug outfitting? You can’t roll if you can’t stay in the boat.

I have to agree with Chris though it’s better to roll than swim any day. C1 OC1 whatever.

Tommy

Working on it
But it will be a while before I am doing Cl 4 or bigger.

Matt - river gods are going to get you now :wink:

daggermat, that’s a good point about
the risk of damaging a waterlogged Kevlar boat. I have a new Millbrook “Big Boy” (no, I don’t like the name any better than the old “Fat Boy”), and if I were to swamp or flip that thing, the best thing is for me to get out of it before it hits something with my 225 additional pounds aboard. The bottom of the boat, and parts of the sides, are reinforced with Spheretex, but there are too many vulnerable areas. Looks like Kaz might get away with 3 layers in certain spots.

rollin w/o outfitting
Karen Knight rolled a Bell Flashfire at SW Canoe Rendezvous. I never saw Brian do that in a Wildfire, but I did see him do a half roll.

Amazing but true

– Last Updated: Dec-06-08 6:22 AM EST –

Here’s the guy who rolled my Yellowstone

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2308652990075003331MBxGAK

I thought I had a picture of the roll, but couldn’t find it. He was kneeling, but I have no idea how he stayed in the boat without straps - maybe the Tilley had something to do with it. He definitely used a kayak paddle for the roll.

That's my tall tale for the day;)

Exiting a capsized canoe…
Shouldn’t be too hard.

Paddle easy,

Coffee

joe says …
The late Joe Seliga maintained that canoes don’t tip over; but he did admit that people do fall out of them.

So, since there is no such thing as a capsized canoe, there shouldn’t be any problem getting out of one!

Actually
If there isn’t any such thing as a capsized canoe, they it should be impossible to exit one!

That said, I have to say that falling out of the canoe is a skill that i didn’t find hard to master.

…might wanna try foam blocks over Yak p

– Last Updated: Dec-08-08 9:04 PM EST –

(over Yakima...pegs).
Chip..fwiw,
With my low dorsiflexion I can only flex @the ankle so much...it has been much easier to put foam blocks in back somewhere(attached to my rear bulkhead) so that it only takes a lateral ankle "twist", and the feet and legs are free...and there's nothin' else around but empty space..

$.01...