Exiting a kayak

Yes! It’s “Harsh” and Abuse
For a paddle is simply a lever that is used to specifically move a very special “load” called a canoe, kayak or SUP.

getting in and out ain’t a pretty pic
if I’m involved, often involves me flopping around in the water, sliding off the boat into the drink, occasionally tipping over, so the paddle helps but sometimes that ain’t even enough, find my legs don’t work very well after being in the boat a few hours so getting out is usually the bigger issue and you can’t seal launch when you’re exiting.

I beat my paddles up- pushing off of rocks, rock bracing, using it as a crutch walking over rough terrain or in a river crossing, and occasionally shielding myself from rock faces or stuff hanging from trees- I’d rather scrape the paddle up than my face or hands

for me the paddle is a tool- I like one that works reliably and that’s about it. Some places you need to toss your paddle (onto the rocks) or risk losing it before exiting. I’ve seen a lot of people lose paddles after a swim. so I like a bright colored blade- orange or yellow and try to write my name on them, but it fades pretty quick

My most expensive paddle is less than $200.00. I’ve already doled out my spare once this year when a paddle shaft snapped in half when a buddy rock braced.

I do own a silver creek canoe paddle- don’t use it much but find the dynel edging to be pretty durable when I do use it

if your worried about paddle snapping than get ya a big ol’ norris battle ax- you can slay just about anything with one of those

Seen paddles snap
I have seen a few paddles snap over the years. Its generally some what over weight people need this paddle help or older folk. Not going to do that with my $600 paddle. Best to learn how to balance and get in, Magooch described it very well.

another drawback
I found that placing the paddle behind the coaming and holding it to the deck with your hands can be tough on shoulders.

yeah it tweeks the front of my shoulder
blade a bit, when I put my weight on the paddle behind the cockpit. I feel it more on the side where I had an impact dislocation after flipping in the base of a small waterfall a few years ago.

I’m pretty beat up for 54 years old- quite a bit of arthritis from the hips down to the ankles. One the great things about paddling is the freedom of movement the sport provides. I feel younger when I’m paddling.

When I can’t kayak anymore I’ll just ducky and fall in and out of the boat near the shore, getting wet in the process, who cares I’ll still be boating.

So in addition to sometimes using the paddle to assist getting out (I seal launch or push myself off the shallow rocks) I also use a spray skirt that is sized larger than suggested for the cockpit of my boat to make things easier. Yes, I do get more water in my boat and the water sometimes puddles up a bit but I can get the skirt on and off by myself, nice to know I have the strength if I have to wet exit. Using the paddle to help stabilize the boat when exiting is something I do more of now, not less of. Some of us are meant to paddle plastic boats and use paddles that can withstand abuse.

There are some places I don’t boat because of the takeout is difficult. Usually it involves a steep climb. Just not my idea of fun anymore.

Where I like to paddle
The only access to the water is concrete boat ramps. You can’t put in anywhere else because the banks are lined with rip rap. I’m not quite sure how to exit my boat without using my paddle in this manner; yes I cringe every time I do it. The incline on the ramps is steep and the bottom of the lake drops off fast. Any suggestions on how to exit without using the paddle are much appreciated.

same here
I’m a bit younger but feel as creaky. Have torn both rotator cuffs so I have to pay attention regarding my shoulders. But I’m with you, paddling is a bit of physical therapy for me, and as long as I don’t overdo it, I generally feel better this time of year than in the offseason.

Parallel to the ramp

– Last Updated: Jun-06-16 9:50 AM EST –

I launch and land my Nordkapp LV on concrete boat ramps and rocky shores often. I try to avoid making any contact with the ramp so landing parallel to the shoreline, ankle deep seems to work well.
It is a true balancing act as I can only get one leg out of the tight cockpit at a time, and there's typically some wave action to deal with.
I use the paddle against the shore to balance and hold me off, but don't put any weight on it.
It takes practice.
It is worth mentioning that this approach is for relatively calm conditions as you don't want to be standing between the boat and shore with large waves.