expedition w/ SOT kayak?

Good point
Good point. Many touring yaks have the large up swept bow and stern so you loose over a foot pretty easily.

I have the 1st generation V6.
I like the 2nd generation better, because they have the Trackmaster Plus rudder, which is retractable and can be used as a skeg, carry handles on the sides of the cockpit and a spring loaded venturi that is only open when you want it to be.

I don’t paddle it because I don’t like getting a wet butt when I first get into the boat - water comes up through the venturi. It’s my wife’s preferred boat because it’s easy for her stiff body to mount and dismount (with my assistance) and she’s a full-time rudder user and I carry the boat to and from the water for her. She also would like the option to plug the venturi to keep water out while mounting and dismounting.

If ours had a venturi plug, cockpit carry handles and the Trackmaster Plus rudder, rather than the non-retractable rudder, I would paddle it more.

I also wear my size 8 Chota Mukluk Lites when I paddle and they are a tight fit in the V6 foot well.

I paddle my Epic 16X the majority of the time when I choose to paddle a kayak, rather than a solo canoe. It has plenty of foot room, is highly maneuverable without the rudder deployed and the foot bar rudder controls are extremely comfortable long periods in the boat.

The reality is, I’m rarely in any boat for more than two hours.

I don’t know if that was of much help.

Linear dimensions above the waterline
Don’t describe hull shape in the water. The V6 is a lot more efficient and faster than many kayaks an inch narrower and a foot longer.

hey, thanks for that
Helps to have input on the 16x. I keep thinking I’ll use a fast kayak more than a surfski, but the open cockpit sure is tempting in midsummer.

I really like the 16X.
Mine was somewhat beat up when I bought it used last year, but since I got it I sold my Epic Touring Cruiser 16, kevlar Perception Shadow 16.5 and have my Eddyline Fathom up for sale now. It just fits my body and personality better than the others.