Extra cushion/pad for kayak seat suggestions

TomL nailed it.
Cycling shorts: custom fit (can be user customized) and they don’t slip between paddler and seat. A separate cushion requires placement and positioning every time getting in and out while sitting in the cockpit.
If using the option to add padding to the manufacturer’s seat it should be fixed to the seat to prevent movement.

P.S. Or you could buy a Delta kayak - great seats!

This is so the marathon flatwater racers answer! It works. That and BodyGlide applied to the offending areas. I haven’t done 1,000 mile races but I know what works for 120.

1 Like

I’m an open canoe paddler so this isn’t directly applicable but I’m wrestling with same question. I’ve used a Skwoosh for many years it has pretty much gone flat. I contacted the manufacturer to see if I could get the cushioning replaced (long shot) and the best they could offer was a small discount on a new one. A feature on the Skwoosh I really liked was the vented mesh fabric on one side.

I just returned a popular gel seat because I didn’t really notice any difference in comfort. I have same concern about center of gravity as my seat is set high for kneeling but I sit on flat water. Wenonah made an inflatable pad but it has apparently been discontinued. I’m a skinny old guy and have no natural padding so I’m thinking of checking out orthopedic pads if they aren’t too thick.

Bike shorts just don’t work for me, the padding is slightly in the wrong place, and I sweat too much in them (Florida), so everyone has to find a personal solution. I sometimes do combine seat pads with the Mocke or Vaikobi paddling shorts. They have a small degree of padding and have worked for me on long races.

I agree that having pads on the seat can be a challenge, they move around and they can be lost if not tethered. That said, on very long trips, when you feel pain starting, you can adjust the pad for relief (at least for the therm-a-rest foam knobby pads). I remove the seat pad entirely at times. Variety is your friend.

2 Likes

Another possibility is to use shorts/pants of one’s choosing and use fabric glue - I lack sewing skills - to strategically attach padding of the type and thickness desired.

I’ve used the Skwoosh for years for everything from an afternoon outing to a multi-day trip. It’s amazingly comfortable. I have not experienced permanent compression, and it does not inhibit leaning the boat on edge. Highly recommended.

I second this. Easily cut to fit and contact cement is nearly permanent when done correctly.