Eyeglass Questions, Several

@Bobonli I’d suggest that you give them a call even though the lenses are now six months old. I had an issue (ordered regular, received golf version) and customer service was very attentive.

Another option that I found recently is Sved Optical. After emailing with them, I’ve pretty much decided to order inserts for my cycling glasses. That will give me the best of all worlds, photochromic lenses with distance vision correction and bifocals for reading. They’ll also make the corrections to the OC and lens position necessary for the leaned forward position on the bike (which you obviously don’t need for kayaking).

Single use contacts with one eye close vision and one distance works for me, but takes getting used to. I usually only wear contacts when I’m expecting to be in rough water with risk of capsize and possible loss of glasses. Using the contacts only for kayaking and only using them once reduces the risk of amebic keratitis. Its not often I need close vision when kayaking so usually I just wear my single vision Ray Ban sunglasses.

I’ve never had any of the problems people have mentioned with progressive lenses, although I never wear them kayaking unless I’m out at dusk or night. I have sensitive eyes so I wear sunglasses every day, everywhere.

I always thought that there is a risk of contacts coming off if your eyes are open under water. Is this not the case?

Yes, as a long-time contact lens wearer I always keep my eyes closed underwater, and I also wear daily lenses when planning to get wet because of acanthamoeba. Not ideal, but it works better for me than wearing glasses and having no peripheral vision.

Still working on this. Let’s pivot to retention systems.

Between getting wet, perspiration etc my glasses start sliding off my face. I’ve tried Chums and Croakies, the thin string versions and the more “tubular” models. Haven’t tried the Chums Neoprene. I don’t like the stringy nature of the first two designs, that there’s cord/fabric hanging behind my neck as a potential snagging hazard. Don’t like the pony tail sticking off the back of the arm and I don’t think they do a particularly good job at holding them to your face, so much as preventing them from falling in the water.

What are you using for retention?

I’ll probably just bite the bullet and have separate pair of on-water polarized lenses with my basic distance RX.

I’ve tried a few different ones over the years. The one thing they have in common is a method of tightening the retainer behind my head. Some have used a retaining cord with a cordlock. Other’s have been pulled through a snug-fitting bead. Most incorporate some kind of small foam float.

As for the attachment, some slip over the ends of the temples and some of my glasses (H2Optics) have small holes in the ends of the temples for wire clips that attach the retaining cord. Others use O-rings that slide partway up the temples. I’ve never had any issues with them snagging on anything, nor have I lost any glasses.

None of these are prescription, but I don’t think there’s any reason that the frames couldn’t be fitted with prescription lenses.

I had those transitions lenses and loved them for sports. HOWEVER, they truly do not work in cars. I now have a separate pair for the car that have distance and reader Rx in them. I can use them while paddling, but I will likely need transition ones in my future as paddling becomes a more frequent past time :slight_smile: