factory racks

It depends…
Volvo factory racks are made by Thule. Never had a problem w/them.

Rated to 176 lbs
I assumed the rating was to avoid a crush injury to the roof rails. The kayaks I typically carry weigh a max of 60 lbs each (not according to the manufacturers).

The system I’m looking at is the Thule 45050 Crossroad system which attaches crossbars to the existing factory rails. My concern is that the whole system will rip out of the roof under highway conditions.

Am wondering if a strap around the whole system, run through the rear window would bring enough comfort to make up for the added noise. Bow and stern tie downs, absolutely!

Lyn

my last car was a Volvo
The connection to the roof was 100% but the cross rails were totally useless. It was 1990 though, so I assume they improved the crossbars in later models.

I’ll consider removing the rails
I’ll replace the factory rails with a full system if there is no safe add-on solution. Am just trying to find out more information about the connection between the rails and the roof. If really heavy duty, I’ll go with the Thule crossroad system (I already own 2 Thule J racks). If not, I’ll replace the rails. One person suggested visiting a junkyard and performing an autopsy, a great idea that’s not going to happen (for so many reasons).

Someone raised a concern about roof leaks if I replace the rails, another consideration. And I thought deciding on which car to buy was hard!

Lyn

Rack Attack
If your owners manual doesn’t provide the weight limit information, have you thought about calling or emailing Rack Attack? They do some custom rack fitting and may be able to answer your question.

Another option is to call Thule customer service directly. 1-800-238-2388 if I recall correctly. I used to work in a store that sold Thule stuff and found them to be helpful at times. If you can’t get the information you need from them, why not try Yakima?

part of the rack
The lengthwise supports are fine and pretty rugged, I drive a Hyundai too, though it’s a Santa Fe, the factory cross bars are rate at about 25 lbs, I use mine for skis, ok for that.

The aftermarket cross bars attach as far apart as possible on the supports though, the stock location is designed for minimum wind noise, not for proper boat support.

Bill H.

No rail option
Me again.

If you get an Elantra Touring w/o Rails then it’s a Thule 460 Podium Foot Pack with a #3061 Fit Kit. Same weight rating so I’d go with the 450 Crossroad Foot pack and simply place the Crossroads close to the anchors of the rail rather than midspan on the rail.

Hope this helps.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

thanks bill, marshall
I already have the car and don’ have cross rails but I do have he rails that run the length of the car. they are rated to 167 lbs, which is more than enough for 2 sea kayaks.

The system I’m pretty sold on is the Thule 450R Crossroad. It looks like an easy on and off, and I already have the J-racks.

Still haven’t found out how many bolts secure the rack to the roof…I’ve got until spring to figure it out.

Thanks for your help!

Lyn

great company!
Thanks, I called them, VERY helpful, I’m very likely to buy from them.

racks
I’ve got literally thousands of miles on my Hyundai with boats on the roof (had another Santa Fe before this one) with no problems at all, the lengthwise racks are pretty strong.

Bill H.