fast sit on tops

Yes, You Are Guessing
Too wide?

I have an HopOnTop Shearwater that has a 20" beam at the design waterline. Its 18’4" long, kevlar, and weighs 40#

Boat For Kids= RTM Disco
If its for kids, and you live in Florida, I would strongly recommend the RTM Disco. I only recommend it for paddlers under about 190#.

Its only 14’ long, but they have an EFFICIENT hull design. A kid is not going to be able to push hard enough to really drive 17’- 18’ of waterline. Its a little wet ride, but kids are not so picky.

Its not a mass production boat in the US, so it would be hard to find used, but they are VERY reasonable. I think I only paid about $600 for mine new. They are imported from France by ship in cargo containers to the Port of Miami, so you save on shipping costs.

Thanks For The Opportunity, Greg!
Thanks for the opportunity to have this pi$$$ing contest again! It never gets old!

well…kinda…maybe

Surf ski is
considered a sit on top?

semantic question
Do you mean a sit-on-top as opposed to a surf ski? Maybe something like the Cobra Eliminator?

I am asking because as a sea kayaker, I’m considering one or the other. All else being equal, I’d rather get a surf ski, I just wonder how easy the stability is to master. There seem to be some good deals out there.

Slow … hey my picture is on the cover

you still have that
old beat up nearly worthless boat?

give ya 100 bucks for it?

Paul

HUKI S1-R

– Last Updated: Mar-10-10 4:55 AM EST –

IMHO ....If you have your 'seabutt' in a seakayak it will take you (only) all of a couple hours then be charging stuff ( wakes and windchop ) with confidence on the Huki. A couple more outings to adjust and you can begin going faster than you ever thought out in the ocean.

surf skis are kind of pokey
what you need is one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO54ZvDwt18

S1-R
http://www.huki.com/store/index.php?main_page=s1r

“I wanted to develop a ski with a great deal more stability than our other two surf skis. I wanted a big bump boat that wouldn’t toss me off in a messy sea. Something that would surf and maneuver well. Jerry and I went back to our S1-X for the successful shapes that produced the best performing surf ski in the world. We made her a little beamier and a foot shorter and we gave her a little more volume. The result is the new HUKI S1-R that has been tested in some BIG 4-6 foot windchop, mixed slop and current, by very experienced paddlers and novices alike.”

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=2008

Hello ScupperFrank
have not seen you post for ages … but then I avoid most of the posts here …

ooooohhhhhhhh
That looks sweet. Maybe when I retire .

IT AIN’T BEAT UP AT ALL, AND IT AIN’T
all THAT worthless…

It’s actually in terrific condition -almost new, in fact.

Now worthless is a RELATIVE term, dear boy -YOU understand that!

It’s FAR from worthless. In fact, it’s one of the better HUMBLE-makin’ machines I can think of. I know a couple folks who regularly drive skis -skis! -who’ve fallen off that thing, just like me!

And Sally can actually make that thing go forward and not axially!

But I do admit, the Isthmus really is a strictly warm water boat, and the 3 of us well know why.

Now I’m perfectly willing to loan you “the I”, even semi-permanently, my friend, but I won’t be selling such a big piece of history for a mere hunnert bucks. And I have a welcome sign out and an open invitation to any and all P-Netters who want to come down and give it a try to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

Great New Zealand Trip Report!
I need to check the articles there more often. Lots of good useful information.

This thread here inspired me to post something over there.