Fast Surf skis

comparing boats
Kris

I think its like Dave said, don’t shy away from something that you can’t master right away. but if you absolutely can’t paddle it 10 yards or so, then move to a more stble boat. My first ski was truly a learning experience and humbled me right quick. But with flatwater and perserverance, I began to get it. From there, the ease a thinner boat presents to the water translates in your own bliss of paddling through water.

I find it difficult at best to compare the Isthmus and the QCC, since its been a while since I paddled the QCC (5 months) and I only paddled the Isthmus a very short distance. I would never go backwards to the Isthmus having paddled faster skis. I would buy a Tarpon as my next ski, when I unload one of my boats in the furture perhaps. But what suits me, is not necessarily your best choice.

You are lucky that you can actually demo some boats, and you have a big advantage right there in Florida. There is plenty of flatwater and then move up to the intercoastal when you are ready to experiment with wakes. I would suggest taking the ski that fits you the best with legs and hips as the first parameter. From there, you must be able to at least go a few strokes before falling in (or not falling in) on flatwater. You seem like someone dedicated to putting the time in, and that would be the next step. comittment.

If the Isthmus is what you feel comfortable in for now, then thats your boat. Take it into the ocean and all the places you can as your skills beging to advance and you will be learning how to use the available energy in waves and boat wakes to increase your distance and speed. The Isthmus has an advantage in its shorter length when playing in waves near the shore,but the 21’ speed demons will have the glide that Isthmus won’t have. to me the Isthmus seemed like pushing so much boat through the water after having hopped off the UX.

hope this helps, don’t get too frustrated if it doesn’t come together all at once.

Good Discussion
Well lots of good feedback

When in Ca. there were lots of boats to look at. The Futuras both the inferno and SX-1 (huki)

Were really made well. The SX-1 of Scott Kellys

was 23 ####. The Quality was there. The Makos looked good too. I would realy love to test drive all of those in Varying condtions.

The one feature That sticks out in my image in all of the boats except for the inferno. the bow is always out of the water. It is to stop the boat from pearling while surfing. it would be neat to have a boat to adjust to the condtions.

So keep the info coming

Dan

Comfort & UX vs. Mark 1

– Last Updated: Feb-26-04 12:09 PM EST –

Actually, I have only hopped on an Isthumus very breifly - in 15-20 kt and some moderate chop/wave - and I was far from comforatble there.

Could probably do OK flatwater and get the hang of it, but think I'd prefer a longer hull if I'm going narrower.

My girlfriend has a Venture (picture the UX shortened to 13' 9" and widened to 23" - same designer). It's about the same as Isthmus for me, mainly because it's just too small.

I fully understand the time and commitement thing. My dilemma boils down to this:

A deep seat helps initial stability, but seems to make remounting more difficult(at least with the freeboard of the Isthmus). Quite a drop down into the seat. Wider seat like UX looks much better for this - but less control.

There is a near new used UX available - my size - locally. UX was not on my short list, but availability and price do factor in.

I was thinking Mark 1, or saving for the pricier Huki - but closer and cheaper are better for now.

I just don't want to get in too far over my head and get something I may be more likely to give up on.

Your (seawave) comparison of the UX and Mark 1 above helps point out the differnces, but raises more questions for me. How much more difficult would you say the UX was compared to the Mark 1? How narrow is the Mark 1 seat? How hard is it to control/stay on the UX.

UX doesn't sound like a good beginner boat - but not may would have recommended going from a 28" SOT to a Q700 either (and that's been a very good transisition).

Mark, this is for you…
I am getting the Mako in carbon!!!

(My wife does not know anything about it, but I have still a couples of months to get it, so times fixs everything… L)

Regards,

Iceman

Seat depth
Seat depth is a function of freeboard as well as how high the seat is off the bottom of the ski. You’re absolutely right that the deeper seat makes remounting more of a challenge. That was one of my concerns about the Mako. But a lot of skis, including many of the older designs, have lower freeboard through the midsection and aft, which allows a seat that’s low enough to be relatively stable but not all that deep. The downside is more water over the side, especially in surfing conditions, but I think it’s probably a good tradeoff in a first ski.

Congratulations!
I thought I had permission to order mine (my wife was getting tired of hearing me gripe about leaks), but I still got a funny look. Oh well. As a buddy tells his wife, we could be doing a lot worse things with our time and money.

Yeah, my @$$ will be wet anyway!
Lower freeboard sounds like the ticket.

Racin’ wit da big boyz now!
You’re more than ready, unlike some other potenial ski buyers who shall remain nameless…

Does your wife get the Isthmus now as a peace offering?

Plus you’ve got …
…the money from the tandem sale! Congrats again!

Now you’re not adding a boat - just you’re replacing one!

Thanks you all

– Last Updated: Feb-26-04 1:54 PM EST –

DLonborg,

You are right! I think my wife prefer me to be paddling than doing something else!!!

Greyak
You said it all.

For a while, I have been telling her how good the Isthmus might be for her.

The thing is when the SpeedStroke, the Isthmus, and the Mako get together at home. I would like to see her face!

Yes,

– Last Updated: Feb-26-04 2:06 PM EST –

that is the idea, but the replacement is 9 feet longer, and a bit more expensive *L*

Regards,
Iceman

Just avoid board shorts when paddling
downwind. It’s kind of disconcerting when you’re taking off on a wave and enough water curls over the side to grab your shorts leg and try to turn it into a sea anchor!

Iceman…
Just tell her NOW you can’t afford a girlfriend…

hmm… maybe not… GH

for the married guys
I have come up with a foolproof solution. All my boats are white with orange tips. when i sell one and add a new one, she never knows. My problem is that I’m too damn proud when I get a new one, that I can’t stop talking about it, and she finds out anyway.

where did you
get THAT boat???

Oh THAT ol’ thing, I’ve had her a while! (yeah like a week!)

Funny how the ladies keep track of things when you wished they didn’t. Next time you’re in the doghouse for too many boats go count her shoes!! or marry a wife who has/ needs:

a Bell Wildfire- kevlar

a Necky Bliss

a Tempest 165 Pro

a Sting Ray OC1 (outrigger)

a 15% share of 3 OC6’s (OC race club)

a 50% share in a 16’ sailboat

a 50% share in a 35’ sailboat

a 33.3333% share in a Paddlesport business

=:-0) gotta love her

steve

Mark 1 vs UX cont.
If you can try a MArk 1, do. Again Dave is right about the deep seat vs shallow issues. If I were to choose between the two, I would stick with my decision that I made when I bought the MArk 1. It is more stable, has more rocker, and by now feels pretty secure in the saddle. My body type fits the skis well and it has been natural transition. In fact, I am more uncomfortable in a ski, then a kayak. Everything is in alignment for me, and I have no leg cramps anymore. My friend Matt tried the Mark 1 and looked like he was three sheets to the wind, but once he got to flatwater, he started to get the feeling of the hidden speed within it. He did have seat fit problems, so I don’t know if mine was made extra narrow because of my order or that is the way they all are.

today I took my MAko out for a spin. Conditions were: 40 degrees water, 40 dgrees air, 10 kts NW wind. It aint Florida anymore! Anyway, the MAko seat is real deep and I have a 1/4" cushion on it. I will probably raise that in the near future. The thing is with the high sides on the seat is that you feel the surfski better. At times with the UX I felt like I was floating on a fast ski, whereas with theMArk 1 and even more so with the MAko, there is a contact with the hips that seems to translate into control.

Taking the MAko out today for the first time in the cold, I kind of kept everything in low gear. But- I had that feeling of- there is a whole lot of engine going on under me- more like an old GTO in idle or something like that. Rumbling, waiting, to have me put it through the ropes. Slowly as it still too cold to really want to swim these days up here.

mw

I don’t know much about surf skis, but
I do know that I’ve had the chance, on two separate occassions, to buy used Current Design “Speedster” for very little money.

No one has mentioned this boat. Is it inferior regarding quality or speed, or simply too difficult to handle?

Jack

What I’ve heard is that it’s just too
squirrelly, or at least too squirrelly for how fast it is. Never paddled one, though.

My wife says
I can have all the girlfriends I want, as long as I don’t spend any time or money on them. Still haven’t figured out how to make that one work, so I stick to paddling.

L, I like that…