Faster than WS Tempest?

Thanks
Thank you for the confidence builder. I am not really very mechanically inclined and my time is pretty squeezed right now. But I would absolutely love to have something as beautiful as that some day.

Nice kayaks
Yes, and thanks, I will look at those as well. But I also want to be able to pack for a weekend and just take off for maybe a 2 day trip. That may be more of a pipe dream than anything else as I really don’t have many free weekends. But it’s a dream I want to keep alive.

Epic V7

– Last Updated: Jun-11-15 6:39 AM EST –

Not sure what you mean by "class", but I guess you mean price class. If you want speed, another boat in this price range that you could look at would be the Epic V7 surfski. The company is involved in racing, and this is one of their detuned models... they make both surf skis and sea kayaks.
http://www.epickayaks.com/product/product/epic-v7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV54u8CT5KI

I am not either
the only woodworking I had ever done before building the CLC kit was a gun rack and a set of saw horses I built in shop class 25 years ago when I was in Junior High.

sea kayaks
Sticking with fast sea kayaks, my choice is the NC Expedition. It isn’t just fast, it is also extremely stable, tracks like it’s on rails and loves rough water. It is also the most comfortable kayak I have paddled.

However, the Expedition is 19’-2" long and if that seems like a handful (it’s really not), NC also makes some 17’-2" models that are also very fast and since the hulls are similar to the Expedition, they are also very stable and track extremely well.

Another kayak that I found very impressive for speed, handling and all around performance is the revised Current Designs Caribou.

If you are a big guy and need the extra volume, the Current Designs Isle is very fast and for it’s size, it is very easy to manage.

I very much prefer the look and feel of the British design; I have to have the upturned ends, so for me it’s NC.

CD Extreme
Second it was fast. I didn’t realize it had been relaunched as the Nomad. It is stiffer for turning than the Tempest if it is the same, but it will do so.

Truly impressive
Thanks again for the motivation and confidence. I have built a few things, but I tend to break a few things in the process…hah! If I can get a ahead of my schedule this may be a project I would like to try. The end product is certainly stunning.

Epic owner
I watched a you tube video presentation from their founder/owner. Looked like a small group seminar. I really liked it because he spoke in plain English and it wasn’t a canned sales job. He explained their kayaks very well. They seem to put out a great product.

Tempest 170
I started kayaking three years ago somewhat on a whim when a Tsunami 125 came my way. In less than a year I knew I wanted a faster boat. Even with my rough rookie form I could push that boat to its hull speed and plow around four knots at about 80% exertion. For me, I wanted to go faster, but only enough so I became the weak link in the system.

I tried some other boats and sat in a bunch. I discovered that individual fit to a particular boat is important. I had done away with the backrest in the Tsunami and added a backband, and it was outfitted the same as their longer boats, which in my opinion is great. Nice pads and safety lines.

I loved the Tempest 170 when I tried it. However, the fore to aft cockpit length made it difficult to avoid a shin scrape when getting out. Then I learned many owners had moved their seat back about 1 - 2", and that this helped with the shins.

I bought a newer made-in-Estonia Tempest 170 composite model and move the seat back 1 1/2". I love this boat. I can cruise close to five knots and sprint a bit more. This is not a boat for racing. But it is a great all around boat nicely fitted out, and great for me to work on rotation and edging. I like the simplicity of having a skeg, which works as advertised.

Paul

Great advice
Thank you pbenter, so to summarize you felt the Tempest was a more efficient design for you and therefore slightly faster kayak as compared to the Tsunami?

Ok, people come in different sizes

– Last Updated: Jun-11-15 9:52 PM EST –

So do kayaks. Kayaks built for speed assume a particular level of handling skill not just horsepower. A kayak with high speed potential will be less stable than a Tempest170 so starting with you and not the kayak is a better start. What are your general dimensions, height/weight, can you roll, are you familiar with basic self rescues?

You might be happy with a stable efficient kayak that your strength could take to very high speeds for short distances over a long skinny kayak that is designed for sustained aerobic high speed efforts.

An Epic V7 might be the ticket if cost is an issue
In other words are you going to get a boat for 90% of your paddling or are you looking for a kayak whose potential you'll only realize for a few minutes out of an hours paddle?

I get the impression most of your paddling is flattish water which is not what the Tempest was designed for but if you're in the beginning stages of kayaking a plastic Tempest would be a fine boat for skills development and later use in rough water. It's not what I'd pick for windy conditions.

Pilgrim Expedition NM

Seda Glider
and a wing paddle.

Two more to consider
I like what CapeFear said about the Current Designs Nomad/Extreme.

Another couple of boats to consider are the P&H Scorpio in plastic and the Cetus in composit.

The Scorpio comes in two sizes and the Cetus comes in three. For me comfort is number one, handling is number two and speed is number three. Given that these modern design P&H models surf well, turn well, have moveprimary stability and are faster than the standard old school do everything style boats like the Wilderness Systems Tempest and the NDK explorer.

If the boat is not comfortable day after day, then you won’t surf well or be fast on long trips.

Tsunami vs Tempest

– Last Updated: Jun-13-15 1:50 PM EST –

edhbryan

Between the 12.5' Tusnami and the 17' Tempest, the Tempest is significantly faster, as the majority of 17' boats will be. I also poke around in small streams off rivers, and do not find the 17' length to be a big deal.

The Tempest has very good initial stability, and I can sit in it comfortably without having to hold a paddle across the cockpit, and am able to reach around and access the day hatch while on the water. This was a pleasant surprise.

I had gotten to the point where i could sit on the back deck with my feet in the cockpit and quietly paddle the Tsunami. Someone said when that is possible, it is time to look for the next boat. I am not even close to be able to do that in the Tempest yet. It likes to lean over. But that gives it its liveliness. Again, it is fast enough for me and it tracks great.

Paul

Perfect advice for me
Thanks Phenter- That’s perfect advice for me. I want to be able to cover miles as efficiently as possible, even with a load for some weekend camping. But I also go for half day trips on local rivers that don’t have any rapids. This sounds like the right fit for me.

I agree
Comfort and fit have to come first or everything else will be compromised. The PH Scorpio is really the ‘other’ kayak that I a considering. I’m sure it will come down to whatever ‘fits’ best. Thanks for the sound advice.

Scorpio Question
Hello Fanknc

Do you consider the Scorpio to fit into that category of being faster than the Tempest? That was really my original question. I have seen lots of reviews and videos on the Tempest. Very positive but many would throw in the caveat “not the fastest in its class”. So that just got me curious. The closest dealer to me actually has a used Scorpio that will go on sale in August/Sept. I can go rent it now and I will definitely do so. But I also like to get input from people such as yourself. It sounds like you may prefer the Scorpio, could you tell me anything about why it may be slightly faster than the Tempest. Any information is appreciated, thanks.