Fastest Sea Kayak?

Tons of room for gear and fast dry ride.

A fast boat for one is a death trap for another. So much depends on the experience and physical condition.

The biggest thing is endurance, if you bonk it is over in many boats.

I have paddled a Westside Wave Exceed in six foot seas. It wasn’t fun but I did it. I have also paddled a Fenn Mako 6 in 6 foot seas and had a blast. Part of the reason is that the Mako has a LOT of rocker, the Wave doesn’t. That rocker also makes the Mako slow in flat water.

The other thing was that I wasn’t afraid to fall of the Mako, I was afraid of falling out of the Wave.

Retired whitewater slalom racer here. I am looking to create a homemade sit on top catamaran for local fishing in the ICW and local lagoons along the Space coast. Looking to create an H frame around two fast sea kayaks and use an electric motor for propulsion (and have a paddle on board for backup). Does anyone know if this is already out there? (no need to reinvent) My goal is fast planning but with enough bow ride so unexpected chop doesnt pitch me over the front.

The reason I am posting here is to get the short list of really fast sea kayaks. Since it will have 2 hulls, it can be less stable and faster. Any thoughts?

The original here is a ghost post, original from 2012. May be worth starting a new thread for anyone currently looking for info.

1 Like

I like your comment “no need to reinvent”. There are several small, single person, mono-hull shallow water boats which will maneuver lots better than the cat you describe (since you want to use a motor of some sort).

The best marsh fishing I’ve done for over 20 years in FL, MS, and LA means getting in narrow, curvy areas which a cat could not usually access.

I would suggest looking at outrigger type options, rather than two kayaks. Here are some brainstorming ideas:

BALOGH™ SAIL DESIGNS (BSD) - Kayak | Sea Kayak Sailing | Outriggers | Canoe Sails (baloghsaildesigns.com)

Mirage Tandem Island | Islands | Hobie

Hawaiian Outrigger Canoes (outriggerzone.com)

I suggests you just go and get a skiff. But if you just have to have a “kayak” then this is your boat.

Or perhaps a craig cat… like these…

I had a Craig Cat for a couple of years. On flat water they are fun boats, on the Chesapeake Bay I took a few waves to the face, LOL.

Even though it is an old question, I’ll provide the following feedback. That is a loaded question. So you want to paddle and go fast, fully loaded for 2 days. What type of water? How many pounds of gear? What is the skinniest kayak you’ve paddled so far? How much do you weight? How tall are you? What is your level of experience? The fastest sea kayak might not be one you can keep upright for your trip and the fastest one you are comfortable in in the type of water you plan to paddle might not be the fastest overall. Without knowing these things all advice will be based on assumptions.

1 Like

just to remind people of a classic fast plastic boat - Prijon Barracuda