Favorite Canoe Paddle???

My Kialoa Axel II
But that’s the one I use the most… for outrigger. I have used it with the Wenonah Minn II, and have to say I liked it for that too. Gives you the flex with a wood shaft, and the lightweight of the carbon fiber blade. Mine is going into it’s fourth season of hard use and is still awesome.

Quimbys are available…
as long as you do not have to have it by any given date. It is a “when he gets around to it” delivery schedule.

ZRE
I’ve been paddling with a ZRE for three years and mostly paddled with a Gray Owl before that. It is great.

Bell Voodoo straight
I think it is the same as the Surreal? Bought one and it never felt “fabulous” to me either. I am no expert but it does not feel balanced to me.

Another vote for Dogpaddle
I too have a Dogpaddle. Mine is a touring blade. The shape is similar to the FS however the blade is a bit heavier (only and ounce or two)and in place of the laminated edging, Marc applied some sort of composite edge protector.

I’ve had it for a couple of years now and love it. It feels so smooth both in my hands and as it slices through the water. In water recoveries feel sweeter than any other paddle I’ve used. I also like the finish. It has a silky look and feel, nicer than other wood paddles I’ve had.

When I had mine built it was significantly less expensive then his FS blades. The composite edge is apparently easier/faster to do than the wood edging on his FS paddles.

It’s good to hear from one of the previous posters that Quimby’s are still available. At the time I bought my Dogpaddle, I couldn’t find out how to contact anyone there. Anyway, turn around time on my Dogpaddle was about four weeks. The idea of getting a paddle when the builder “gets around to it” doesn’t appeal to me.

Dorothy

favorite paddle
My favorite is a Black Bart Troublemaker…straight shaft carbon. Stiffer and sturdier than a Zav with excellent balance. Sturdy as heck and still just 12 ounces. You can hit/switch like a bent, J-stroke or use it for freestyle.

For “zen” paddling seems like the Pat Moore Cues are still unmatched.

I’ve got one old Grey Owl Freestyle that’s had the tip reshaped by Ron Sell that I’m quite fond of.

Foxworks = comfortable shafts
Foxworks’ shafts fit my hand perfectly…I can adjust to their flex…they’re so comfortable, but usually go with other blades…*$&%(%($>

favorite paddles
Love my Zav medium powersurge. Also have a Bending Branches, but prefer the Zav by a huge margin.

From Matt’s earlier posts
I gather his focus is top-of-the-line and his ambitions know no bounds. That’s cool. I was that way too when I was young and strong.

But you can get good paddles without plunging into all sorts of exotica. On open flatwater I’m very pleased with my Wenonah carbon bent and, more recently, with my BB Starburst ST (which is also very pretty). Wenonah also sells a lighter (and more expensive) bent carbon geared to racing, if that’s your thing.