Feathered Greenalnd Paddle ?

Switching ctrl hands
Actually, some advocate exactly that - the hand that is about to become the “pull” hand takes control at the end of rotation when the paddle is completely out of the water. The “push” hand does not control the paddle once it yields control to the pull hand, except for maintaining the proper vertical position(but does not grab or rotate the shaft while the other hand pulls - the paddle has been placed at the proper angle into the “new” control hand already and does not need to be controlled any more during the stroke, unless it is very bumpy or in currents).

I’m not saying that’s right or not (even though I have my thoughts about it, I’ll keep them to myself for now) - just I’ve heard that being thaught this way too.

90 degree feather
You say it’s impossible to paddle with a 90 degree feather without cocking your wrist, and therefore it must not be bad technique. But I think that only proves that a 90 degree feathered paddle is an ergonomical disaster. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 90 degree paddle, and the reason is probably that it would be difficult and potentially injurious to use.

It’s not only possible, it’s not hard
It’s all about technique. While it’s true that not many people paddle with a 90 degree feather, I’ve watched Derek Hutchinson paddle with his 90 degree Toksook and there wasn’t any wrist cocking going on. He’s big on paddle symmetry, extended paddles strokes and other things that are considered heresy by some organizations and coaches.

With all the disadvantages of intermediate feather angles, I understand his position on feathering. It seems to me that the only feather angles that make any sense from a purely paddling efficiency perspective are unfeathered and 90 degrees. However, some people probably can’t make 90 degrees work for them due to their physical makeup or limitations, or lack of technique, so they use intermediate angles and live with the related problems.

It’s pretty much the same thing…

– Last Updated: May-24-10 8:58 AM EST –

...and I probably just didn't describe it well enough. As the control hand is coming up to start the push phase of the stroke, with the paddle grasped, it's motion is changing the angle of the blade in relation to the off-side hand. That process is completed just before the catch, at which time the off-side hand begins pulling the paddle and the control hand begins pushing. Under normal conditions, neither hand is grasping the paddle at that point, the upper hand is relaxed and pushing and the lower hand is hooking the paddle and pulling. At the end of the stoke, the control hand re-grasps the paddle, which is still properly oriented, and lowers it for the onside stroke. At no time does the off-side hand actually grasp the paddle or change it's orientation, except perhaps under difficult conditions where extra paddle control is required.

I think we actually agree
The conclusion I care about is what you said above: “Symmetric technique requires a symmetric paddle.” It is hard to get a clear terminology that conveys why intermediate feathering is not symmetric. I see instructors all the time who deny it with very strange arguments.

It’s actually pretty simple

– Last Updated: May-25-10 11:57 AM EST –

Symmetric technique means that you do the same thing on both sides, all the time. As soon as you introduce feathering and a control hand, you are no longer symmetric. This is most evident when rolling and bracing, where you have to consciously do things differently on each side, at least during the learning phase. While the motions eventually become subconscious, they are still different and therefore not symmetric.

Ironically, a 90 degree feather on a paddle with fully symmetric blades, like a Toksook, actually requires less asymmetric motion for rolling than intermediate angles used with the more popular asymmetric blade shapes (blades wider on the top edge than the bottom). For example, when rolling, one can use the offside blade as an index and you hold it the same way on both sides.