Finding a lighter Kayak...

tempest is still pretty heavy
though–might want to switch to a plywood and glass kitboat like the pigmy or the shearwater

The obvious solutions
As others have suggested you can deal with the lifting problem with technology. That is fine. If you want to deal with the weight problem with boat selection then there is really only one viable suggestion – a skin on frame. You don’t have to build one (although that would be fun). You can order one built to specs. The weight of a SOF is incredibly less than any fiberglass or plastic boat. You might be surprised how how well they compare to to an explorer and how much they can carry.

plywood vs. skin on frame

– Last Updated: Nov-27-08 3:08 PM EST –

I have weighed many kayaks at ConnYak picnics and a few other events. The average weight for a plywood kit boat is 40-45 lbs. The usual stripper comes in at 40 -45 also. Skin on frame kayaks with synthetic coating (not painted canvas) weighed 25-35 lbs, depending on size, materials and construction care.

ConnYak members Nick Schade, Jay Babina and Joy/Dennis McNeal have built plywood kayaks that were in the low 30's on my scale. They were narrow low volume plywood kayaks,

Dave

trailer
I’m looking real hard at that Rack and Roll trailer this year at Canoeacopia. Loading and unloading is the hardest part about a heavy boat. It sure would be nice setting a boat down waste high instead of up and over the roof rack. You can use your existing roof rack on the trailer too.

Light Boat…How about Rockpool Alaw
We have gone into licensed production of the Rockpool Alaw in North America. We are offering it in both all carbon at 38# and fiberglass at 40#

www,reednorthamerica.com

Surge at 38 lbs
by Surge Marine in Maine. It has worked well for me. Al