Firearms/pepper spray in Bear Country?

HUH?

– Last Updated: Dec-17-08 6:07 PM EST –

Protein? The black bears around here are usually pretty shy of humans. If they do wander near camp, a shout and a well thrown stone sends them scampering, never to return. The Griz we have around here are another critter altogether.

I haver been charge 5 times …4 by griz

– Last Updated: Dec-17-08 6:21 PM EST –

and once by a black bear that I shot at 12 feet..I had no doubt that it would have tried to eat me..its a long story , but that is why I stated 99% of the time..don't trust any bear no matter what color it is or what kind of bear it may be...keep yer distance..don't ever trust a bear to do what you think it will or should do..

Read Link
On a side note, realize, bears are fast. They can run much faster than you think, will go in water to get you and climb a tree.

In my state, we mostly have black bears. The signs at the trailhead say to make noise when you hike to let the bear hear you, giving it time to leave as they want to avoid human contact.

Also, the sign says to curl up into a ball and cover your head with your hands so the bear does not rip your skull apart.

If a bear, brown or black has cubs, you’re pretty much done if you get too close by accident or come between a mom & her cubs.

This link answers bear questions in Alaska:

http://www.alaskatrekker.com/bearsafety.htm

Don’t fret, be aware and enjoy your trip!!!

-Capri

And stay off islands
an island is a garden step stone for a bear and for many other wildlife.

Bears and moose etc are excellent swimmers but not too stupid to take a rest if the opportunity is there.

If you are asking the question

– Last Updated: Dec-27-08 11:46 AM EST –

you are probably not already skilled with a rifle, shotgun, or pistol in closeup shooting situation with a charging animal. So stick with the bear spray, follow clean camp practices, and try to camp/travel with more than two people. Otherwise you are more apt to shoot yourself or a travel companion. Almost ALL attacks are on single people or couples. Attacks on groups of 3 or more are almost nil. If you are driving through Canada on your way to Alaska, you are allowed to take bear spray from the US only if it is USEPA-approved bear spray. Specifications state that the bear spray must have USEPA on the label. Bear spray is also NOT allowed on airlines. So plan to buy in Alaska if you choose to use it or make sure the label is USEPA.

and stuff bacon in his pockets

Bear Spray, Bears these days prefer
their food seasoned…

Just kiddin,

Bear Spray works. has a huge margin of error in dispensing, easy to operate, easy to aim, will aggravate the mucus membranes of any mammal it comes in contact with…including yours.

Bear Deterrent
As a long-time gunsmith, I’ll give you the some of the same advice I give would-be defenders of home and hearth.

In this case, your choice of firearms is limited…12-gauge pump (most reliable), loaded with slugs, or a 44 Magnum revolver. Forget rifles unless you are able to put a single shot into a vital place up close and under extreme pressure.

More important than choice of firearms is practice. practice, practice, until you can put your hands on it in total darkness, and know if it is loaded, and is the safety on or off, and is what you’re about to bust a cap on really a marauding bear and not a raccoon?

A loaded gun in the tent with other people is an accident waiting to happen unless no shell is in the chamber and the safety is ON. Again, you have to be able to make it ready for use in complete darkness and under stress. Consider this…during Oregon Trail days more people were killed and injured in firearm accidents than any other cause; and these people used firearms on a regular basis.

handgun calibers
hi…only handgun calibers that have a chance of stopping or detering a bear attack from any species in Alaska, IMHO, is either a .480 caliber, 454 Casull or a .500 caliber… i had a .44 mag handgun …i seriously doubt it would be effective on a grizzly or polar bear.

any of those calibers recoil is a handful for even the biggest , strongest hands of men, not to mention the

sound will probably damage your hearing permanetly , without some kind of ear protection. google up those calibers on youtube for some idea as how they recoil, i’m sure you can google up some sort of review , online, regarding calibers suitable for bears.

if you choose bear spray rated for grizzlies, make sure , if u have to use it, the wind is not blowing in your face!! good luck and enjoy.

Prevention is the best answer
The brown bear/grizzly is a very good hunter able to out run most any prey in north america and powerful enough to take down moose. My advice would be get a bear barrel and use it, eat at a stop about an hour or two before you stop paddling to camp and stay out of places near feed for the bears in question. If you don’t know what they eat or where they would most probibly be, find someone who dose or don’t go.

Anyway you look at it if you have to resort to a gun or spray… the outcome will probibly be less than ideal. Chances are you will have but moments to act and mistakes or freezing will result in a bad day. Reduce the chances of interaction between you and the bears, and the chances for your reintroduction to the food supply near the bottom will be reduced.

-Happy Paddling!

Prevention
I agree…avoiding undesirable interaction between you and bears is much better than having to take extreme action under extreme conditions.

I haven’t used one, but bear barrels come highly recommended…New York State requires them when camping in the high peaks where bears are a real issue.

Shotgun
A shotgun should have an attached bayonet. You could end up hand to paw with them!

Lol. Seriously?
What kind of results is anyone going to have with a bayonet versus a bear?

YoS

video link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkX5V4UvPOM&feature=related

Hunting
Those who hunt wild dogs (unafraid of people) often attach bayonets. It’s a last resort. A long knife in the underside of the neck can kill quick. Of course we don’t really want to go there.

The negroes in Africa have for years used spears on lions.

Go with spray
In my experience in Alaska and other wilds, the spray is a better option. Your chances of actually shooting a charging bear aren’t very good anyway with the adrenaline that comes along with it. And if you hit it and don’t kill it, it will definitely consider you a threat and kill you instead. Most charges are bluff charges that the spray will have the best chance. And its easier to carry.

bear banger
google for “Bear Banger”

Several different manufacturers. Basically all are a pen flare gun that shoots a flash-bang cartridge.

I also heard of a flash-bang round made in various handgun calibers, but have not found it on line. Anyone know of a source?

Bears
Good luck. When preparing for a trip into polar bear territory I quickly realized that this topic is an emotionally charged one. You will get all sorts of opinions.

We took air horns, bear bangers and bear spray. The locals advocated air horns and staying out in the open away from the brush.

bears
I also carry the foghorn in a can…and truly, if an area reeks of grizzly,has poor visability and you don’t have to be there-don’t!