First Canoe Purchase

Penob 16
I’ve never paddled on myself but they have a reputation for being fast and a bit tender. Those two traits usually go hand-in-hand. Fast ususally means a more rounded bottom which translates into less primary stability (feeling of tippiness). But I’m sure the two of you will adjust just fine with a little time. I’m only saying this so you can be prepared for the initial feeling and not be surprised.

Remember to keep you hips loose and your heads inside the gunnels. Congratulations on a fine canoe.

Good canoo…
Yer did well Pilgrim!

Fat Elmo

That’s a sweet deal
… and a very nice canoe for that price. A great canoe for cruising flat water streams/lakes and one you could overnight in. Not well suited for whitewater as it has minimal rocker, but with experience you could use it in some mild whitewater.

You’ll enjoy this canoe and can use Gander coupons for other stuff.

You did right!
What a deal!

Nice
I have a Penobscot 16. Great boat, but like others have said, it will feel a little tippy if you are used to a boat with a flatter bottom. It won’t take long to get used to it. Take it out in warm water and dump it on purpose. I think you’ll be surprised at how much effort it takes.

BTW, mine’s a 1998 in royalex. The outer plastic layer is worn through at the stems, it has assorted other dings and scratches, the wood thwarts and seat frames need some refinishing and I gave $450 IIRC.

Grab that Penobscot!
Great price on it! Clarion’s description is right on. It’s a boat you will grow into, not out of.

Old town Discovery Series or penobscot
You can always check out online classified first(aka craigslist paddling.net) but the Discovery series from old town is a great starter. I’ve had the pleasure to own a discovery 174(retired) and it is the best all around boat I’ve ever paddled. One thing to think about, if you are to portage your tandem canoe long distances, under the 1000$ range I suggest getting some wheels to transport it, since the plastic polyethylene molds are heavier than the more expensive royalex and composites.

Congrats on a great deal!
I would’ve been all over that deal, also.

That makes 2
new posters in the last month that came here asking questions, listened to some good advice, and ended up finding good canoes at fair prices in pretty short order.

Nice job, everyone!