First (Fishing) Kayak

Manta Ray 12
Bat, the Manta Ray 12 is one of the yaks I looked at before deciding to buy. I came very close to getting one myself. I still think they are a nice boat. I also tried a Heritage Redfish 12. It was a very nice boat, but the tracking upstream in our river was like you said about your Mantay Ray. Instead of going ahead and buying, I decided to just wait a little longer. I did more research and decided on the WS Ride 135. I know, it is 1 1/2 feet longer, but I really like it. The extra length is a little harder to deal with, but I have room for an office crate, and a 25 quart ice chest in my tankwell. I’m sure you’ll like your Manta. If I had bought when I was really into it the 1st time, I feel I would have gone with the Manta.

I should say
that yak.canfish, and Bid D were very helpful and patient with helping me, even though I did drag it on a bit. The thing I have learned is that if you go ahead and buy a recommended boat that is considered a good choice by these guys, you will adapt to it and think there is no better. I guess boat and paddler become one after padling a few miles. If I didn’t thank yak.can fish, or Big D, I’ll do it now. Thanks guys.

No big deal. Like helping fellow
fishermen get on the water. Besides, I get a bit tired of the prigs over on the other boat boards. We need more paddlers who actually use their boats for the original purpose kayaks were developed, fishing, and if so inclined, hunting. Anyone for a bit of whale hunting?

kayak
i do not know about the 12’and up length of kayak but i have an 11.5 caster/yellow boat and it is big for fishing yet small for ponds.you may think of getting one of these i use mine for fishing bass in iowa ponds and it tracks well too and i have no problem as far as speed.

with respect
to your castor, I saw one at dicks sporting goods and really wasn’t that impressed. I guess it is not bad for a low cost boat, if that is your primary concern, but check into mfg’s warranties too, go with a company who offers a lifetime warranty. Ronald, I am not trying to dog your boat, you are the first one I have ever seen on here talk about a castor. I just wasn’t impressed.

I think the Caster has been discontinued and replaced with the Search series.

Good to see you here
Druminator, good to see you here pal. I’m still recovering from my 1st carpal tunnel surgery. In about 5 more weeks, I’ll get my other hand done.