First kayak for an apartment-dweller (probably folding or inflatable)?

Thanks again everyone for the advice. After much research, we’ve decided on the Sea Eagle 473rl. Now we just need to decide whether to get the basic package with AB40 paddles, or spend an extra $50 for the higher-end package that comes with AB50 carbon fiber paddles.

We definitely want to have some nice lightweight paddles. The question is whether the AB50 paddles are good enough that we’d be happy with them as our personal paddles, or if we should save the $50, get the basic paddles, and invest in better paddles elsewhere.

Any thoughts?

I’d say go with carbon fiber.

However It doesn’t claim to have carbon fiber shafts. Just carbon blades may not be worth it.

I paddle with a full carbon wing paddle and I have to wear gloves or it’ll cause blisters. Keep that in mind.

Lighter blades and heavier shaft are more beneficial than a lighter shaft and heavier blades, so full carbon blades are more beneficial than carbon shaft and heavier blades. It’s known as swing weight.

I definitely prefer full carbon paddles in the 21 to 22 oz range, but they are commonly over $400. Mine were all purchased used and the search required a great deal of patience.

The enjoy that new boat. The 393rl looks leak interesting to me.

Thanks, all - yes, we definitely want carbon fiber paddles. The question is whether we pay the extra $50 to get the ones w/ the boat package, or look for better ones. I guess I’m asking if the carbon fiber paddles offered w/ this boat are a solid pick, or if we’ll be disappointed with them and prefer to shop around & pick our own.

The boat comes with paddles by default, there’s no opt-out. But there is the option to get the basic ones, or pay $50 extra for the carbon fiber ones.

Well, $50 isn’t exactly a lot of money, so if I absolutely had to buy paddles with the boat I’d probably go with the “upgraded” ones to save half a pound per paddle.

But, I wouldn’t set my expectations too high. Kayak paddles should be sized to the paddler, both in terms of length (which depends on the paddler’s height, torso length, boat width) blade size (determined by the paddler’s strength and paddling style) and even shaft diameter (women usually prefer a slightly smaller shaft).

Oh, and a full carbon shaft won’t necessarily cause blisters. It all depends on how the manufacturer has finished them. The carbon shafts on my - and my wife’s - Werners are super smooth and are very comfortable.