First kayak purchase! Aspire or Axis (10-10.5')?

@magooch said:
How do these dated posts keep popping up?

New members seem to pull from the archives and offer their opinions, despite being late to the party.

@gallej said:
@shiraz627 @magooch @Overstreet I’m still alive, don’t worry. I actually haven’t purchased anything yet, but I’m currently looking at a Dagger Katana 10.4. I don’t really want anything in the 12-14’ range (for storage and weight reasons), as I’d likely be moving the kayak by myself before meeting up with friends. I’d be doing more flatwater than whitewater paddling, but I like the versatility of a crossover, and only want to buy one kayak. I’ve been looking for deals for the past couple of months haha

I bought a Katana 9.7 last fall and love it. It’s been great on rivers and Class 2 rapids, and I’m looking forward to hitting Class 3’s with it in the Spring.

If you aren’t too heavy for it, take a look at the Katana 9.7 instead of the 10.4. Several folks with Katana 10.4’s told me they wish they had gone with the 9.7 due to the weight of the 10.4

@VACaver said:

@gallej said:
@shiraz627 @magooch @Overstreet I’m still alive, don’t worry. I actually haven’t purchased anything yet, but I’m currently looking at a Dagger Katana 10.4. I don’t really want anything in the 12-14’ range (for storage and weight reasons), as I’d likely be moving the kayak by myself before meeting up with friends. I’d be doing more flatwater than whitewater paddling, but I like the versatility of a crossover, and only want to buy one kayak. I’ve been looking for deals for the past couple of months haha

I bought a Katana 9.7 last fall and love it. It’s been great on rivers and Class 2 rapids, and I’m looking forward to hitting Class 3’s with it in the Spring.

If you aren’t too heavy for it, take a look at the Katana 9.7 instead of the 10.4. Several folks with Katana 10.4’s told me they wish they had gone with the 9.7 due to the weight of the 10.4

Thanks! I’ll look into the differences now.

crossover boats do have a lot of versatility- some folks say they do nothing well but do a number of things just ok- I still have my liquid logic xp (one of six kayaks) and in fact it was the last kayak I chose to paddle in. The extra volume makes it a drier and more stable boat, which is a nice feature for a winter whitewater kayak when you want to keep the splash factor down (think 40 degree air and water temps)…

One of the more challenging aspects of a crossover is the fit. They tend to be rather loose (large in the cockpit area) which can really impede rolling and leaning (heeling) which is something you may need to do with their displacement hull. My xp is pretty comparable in weight to my creek boat, which is a xl shiva. Definately on the heavier end of ww kayaks and a crossover is a bit harder to load on top of the car because of the added length.

This is an old thread but since you’re still considering a boat I thought I would respond. If your primary use is flatwater I think the longer version of the katana is likely to be a bit faster (more efficient) but a bit looser in fit. Perhaps someone with actual Katana experience will chime in…

@tdaniel said:
crossover boats do have a lot of versatility- some folks say they do nothing well but do a number of things just ok- I still have my liquid logic xp (one of six kayaks) and in fact it was the last kayak I chose to paddle in. The extra volume makes it a drier and more stable boat, which is a nice feature for a winter whitewater kayak when you want to keep the splash factor down (think 40 degree air and water temps)…

One of the more challenging aspects of a crossover is the fit. They tend to be rather loose (large in the cockpit area) which can really impede rolling and leaning (heeling) which is something you may need to do with their displacement hull. My xp is pretty comparable in weight to my creek boat, which is a xl shiva. Definately on the heavier end of ww kayaks and a crossover is a bit harder to load on top of the car because of the added length.

This is an old thread but since you’re still considering a boat I thought I would respond. If your primary use is flatwater I think the longer version of the katana is likely to be a bit faster (more efficient) but a bit looser in fit. Perhaps someone with actual Katana experience will chime in…

Thanks for the information! I just want to get something between 9 and 11’ that can handle FW and WW well (up to Class III). Budget isn’t an issue, so I figured a Katana was one of the best boats I could get in that size range (at least from what I’ve researched). I would also prefer something under 60 pounds, as I’d be loading and unloading by myself! FYI: whatever I purchase will be loaded onto a sedan, so it’ll definitely be easier to load and unload than a SUV!