First Long trip

I may be a pea-brain, but I can write…

– Last Updated: Feb-28-09 12:54 PM EST –

... accurately. You definitely stated that humans are not usually the reason you should consider having a weapon along, so the only thing left is animals, so I just asked WHICH animals are you worried about and why? And since I didn't believe you'd be able to provide an answer that made any sense, I added a bit of humor.

You could just decide to deal with the fact that you said something really vague which was bound to leave people scratching their heads wondering what you meant to say, or you could explain that statement in a way that makes some kind of sense. Instead, you took the non-sense approach and made the comparison to safety precautions that we really do make use of. If you are worried about animal attacks in Alaska, I would agree, but in the location being discussed it is just TOO strange.

amen brother…
it’s at the top of the list

core banks
while the outer banks are wonderful, i’d suggest for an extended paddling trip, move down to the core banks (portsmouth island, cape lookout, shackleford banks). more remote and certainly less populated (no permanent residents). camp anywhere except near a man made structure. will need to carry enough water for your trip. see cape lookout national seashore. when are you going? fall through spring are prime with fewer (note: didn’t say no) bugs, comfortable temps, great scenery. summers are hot and buggy! you won’t need protection from the critters beyond something to protect you from mosquitoes and biting flies. be aware you’ll be exposed to the sun and elements and prepare accordingly. no rocky shores in north carolina, but you might occasionally see some mud. i’ve made a number of trips in the region. email me if you’d like for more detailed info.

regards,

harry

summer…
we are planning the trip for this summer. As of now I think we were going to start in Okracoke and paddle down to shackelford then make our way north again. If we had the time we would spend up to two weeks on the trip but with summer jobs between semester’s at school, one week is hard enough to get off. One of our biggest concerns right now is bringing enough water…we are considering some sort of salt water purifier as a just in case…

ROTFLMAO!
You are a hoot!

“When something does happen you better hope that someone prepared like me is there to rescue your sorry unprepared ass. … Now anybody just wannah paddle safely or what?”

“Paddling safely” misses the point here, which is why the word “paranoid” earlier seemed perfectly appropriate. I’m all for paddling safely, but paddling safely need not include being prepared for situations which are so rare that not even the most enthusiastic supporters of self defense with firearms can provide an example to illustrate the need (as per the other current discussion on this site about that), except in the case of attack by grizzly bears and polar bears, for which no outlandish justification for “being prepared” is needed in the first place.

water

– Last Updated: Feb-28-09 5:30 PM EST –

at the morris marina ferry landing on portsmouth island you can resupply with water. water also available at the cape lookout lighthouse. another option would be to cross the sound to one of the small towns along the mainland side to resupply. i'd recommend hard sided water containers to deter raccoons.

summer can be brutal, nice during the day (though hot and humid), if you have a breeze, but the bugs (sand midges, biting flies, and mosquitoes) can be voracious if the air is still. long sleeves, long pants, a headnet, and plenty of deet are a necessity. i've tried, on summer trips, to be through with everything and be ready to take to the tent at dusk. saltmarsh skeeters are no joke!

ocracoke inlet will have significant boat traffic during the summer. to avoid dodging boats and wakes, i'd suggest starting off from cedar island, cross the sound and then work your way down portsmouth and beyond.

harry

Wow again
You are really something. You may be able to write but you cannot read. Try to Comprehend this. I suggested that you should consider a weapon. Never did I mention a gun, though a gun should be considered. Also I did not call you a pea brain I called you a pee brain. Those are different kinds of “P”. As for what animal is going to attack you I have no idea I simply wanted you and anyone else to be ready when and if that happened. Again who do you believe you are? I’m amazed at your arrogance. Try to put your ego aside. Paddle, have fun, be safe.