First Solo Canoe?

Kneeling

– Last Updated: Oct-29-16 5:30 PM EST –

Yes, I understand *why* people kneel in canoes. I am much more comfortable sitting, thus intend to sit. A tractor seat low in the canoe is an option I am quite willing to consider; I am used to kayaks. I am not intending to do anything too technical with this boat; just enjoy leisurely paddling and get a bit of exercise!

Hemlock will have
a boat that will work beautifully for what you want to do. Dave will

install a sitting height seat for you. Get the Conk double contour. Most comfortable seat I have used in 30+ years of paddling. Your weight and height will determine the correct hull. Beautiful boats you will enjoy for a lifetime and will reward progressing skill level but not be intimidating for beginners.

Swift Pack?
If you are used to a kayak, how about a pack canoe? The Swift Keewaydin 15 comes in a pack model. It also carries a pretty good load and might be suitable for your dog. The Keewaydin 14 migt be more suitable if you are light.

Those are well represented
at the Western PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous too.

But just cause you kayak doesn’t mean you always want to sit on the bottom… You can be more upright and see more in a traditional solo canoe.

I have some of each type of canoe.

Vagabond will carry a weeks worth
Or more. We do up to ten day trips in coastal Everglades and have to bring our own water so weight adds up when you have to bring a gallon a day per person. My friend paddies the vagabond and it fits her well. It is a good starter boat that I can attest is able to carry you and your gear. It is seaworthy if you have the skills. I have a hemlock kestrel, I highly recommend you trying out some of the boats Dave makes as well.

Does your friend…
Does your friend carry a 65 pound dog in her Vagabond ?

BOB

Really?
There are several builders who will make a great boat for you; Colden, Hemlock, Savage and Swift among them, and add Placid if you want to sit low with a double blade.

Email charliewilson77@gmail.com for a comprehensive spec listing of every solo canoe currently available for comparative data. Will you kneel, sit high or sit low? What gear will usually be along and how good is the paddler’s balance. Paddler height and weight, stance and gear all help determine approximate width.

We assume novice level so some differential rocker will help with course keeping.

Charlie

From the original We

No
Alligators love dogs and small children… Seriously, I would not carry a large 65lb dog in my hemlock. In the vagabond she did once save a neighbors large dog from the lake and it seemed fine in the canoe. However, that was the only other weight other than her in the boat. Camping gear or dog, have to make a choice.

Canoe dog
These folks take their large dog canoeing with them. Lots of cool videos of them & the dog on YouTube. Dog looks pretty chill in the canoe, so I’m guessing they started him early & did a lot of training. Their videos are really enjoyable to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-mDbQcr2UE

??? 65# dog in a Wilderness ???
Been paddling a Wilderness for 3 years. Stock comes with seat too high and too centered (easy fix). I’m 230# and have carried 100#+ of gear on river treks and had no major difficulty with a STABLE load. Just me and no gear it can be a little twitchy but manageable. Not sure I want moving cargo in it.

Thanks!
Thanks, Folks!

It is good to know there are so many good options available. I am really ready to move on from paddling my recreational tandem backwards:)

Thanks!
Thanks, and e-mail sent.

I have a wilderness I’m looking to sell. It’s a fine boat for daytripping on small streams and lakes. Shoot me a line if you’re interested.

I own a Coleman Ram-16 which was way too large for me to do solo. Robert has no problems paddling a 17’ aluminum tank solo.
But when I found an OT Pack-12 for $200, I got it.
I added a gunnel-line, cup holder and so on and found that I could do the Colorado River for a week out of this easily.

I am 70 and have been in boats 50 years. I am looking for small, light weight canoe to hunt and fish from. It’d be nice to be able to put a motor on for longer trips when hunting. I am on Potomac River, with very little white water but a lot of rocks. Any suggestions.

By now I’m guessing the original poster has already made a decision so I’ll chime in here without the thought that I might be influencing her decision.

Assuming a dog, a small light tandem with symmetrical ends may serve one’s purpose better than a dedicated solo. It would allow for a better trim balance meaning both dog and paddler will be happier

Without knowing where the boat is to be paddled 80% of the time there is no reasonable way to make a recommendation. Rocker profile alone is enough to disqualify a boat if its intended environs are frequented by currents (or not); too little and the boat will catch eddy lines; too much and she’ll be suffer crossing a breezy fetch. More initial stability suits bird watchers, photographers and fishermen and women. Greater secondary stability suits rougher water.

There is much to be learned from manufacturers specs and the experiences of others, but the real starting point is being entirely honest about where and how the boat will be used.