First time canoe owner

Yeah, I completely agree. I don’t plan to do much more, other than clean and replace that thwart/yoke.

We have taken it out once for a few hours and had a blast. We already have PFDs, a whistle, I have a small fluke anchor that I plan to try for the canoe, all I need is some line. I do plan to submit the paperwork to the state to get it registered, as well, as I do plan to find a motor for it.

Consider painting this canoe and painting the gunwales black.

We shall see. I had figured, prior to picking it up, that it was going to need painted. The paint is a bit chalky looking, but otherwise is fine. If we end up using it a fair amount, I will probably regard it further… for now, I just plan to use and fish out of it, as-is.

I look forward to using it in creeks, like this. Boat access is nearly non-existent, as the bridge is fairly low, and the depth is shallow. Further into the creek, I have a feeling it gets much deeper, I know speckled trout will stack up in the in the fall… Without a small jon boat, kayak, or a canoe, there’s really no access… This canoe will get me there!

I suggest that you buy some 303 aerospace protectant and treat the entire outside of the boat plus the gunwales. It’s fast and easy. 303 is a UV protectant. It will spiff up the finish and protect it. It’s also perfect for applying to your car interior (especially dashboard) and your car door seals…any plastic or rubber that you want to protect from degradation. I also agree with Overstreet that you might want to round off the edges of your new center thwart and make it look more like the old one because it will be a lot more comfortable to use for dragging the boat around or even leaning on it when you’re using the boat. Seems like you could screw a couple rodholders right onto that center board. They also make ones that clip onto your gunwales.

The board is not fully square, the edges are broken with a 1/4" round-over bit. May be hard to see in the pics, but there aren’t square edges. The old one had about a 1/2" round-over, so yes, slightly bigger.

I will use it as-is for now, simple fix if I find it needs rounded more in the future.

Your canoe looks perfect for your intended use. A bit too heavy for me at my age though. A trolling motor could work on the back if you have one. Although if you learn a few basic paddle strokes you may find you won’t need a motor for what you are doing with it. We all think we know how to paddle and get by with how we do it. However, controlling a canoe becomes much easier if we learn how to do a J stroke, C stroke, Draw and Pry strokes, etc.

A motor will add weight and set up time. A cart would make it easier to handle. If you plan to cover a lot of water then a motor will increase your fishing time. I doubt you would have to spend money to register it if you don’t use a motor. Just a few thoughts for you to consider.

Now you are rich.

Probably a minor point, but adding a motor in many jurisdictions may then require you to register the boat and be liable for fees or other restrictions at public launches.

1 Like

Which often requires origination certificate or previous title, and bill of sale.

1 Like