First Time Out -Kayak-Questions

A nice pdf instruction
…can be found at

http://www.canot-kayak.qc.ca/fqck_pdf/kayak_securiteANG.pdf

Gerry
thanks for passing along the link, I take a look.

Mark

Thanks for the Courtesy
I was on a tight timeline, had to get out early for a paddle/practice session at a lake north of here, and to this point it is still unknown whether you are only likely to kayak in a local river or also try a larger body of water or offshore where things like use of a compass could be critical early on. You have been busier asking questions than letting anyone know about that.

Most of us who have paddled a long time, and are still at it, have expended at least some effort thinking about what kinds of issues we may encounter in the places we expect to paddle.

Do you really need someone to tell you that skills with a compass are more important in the ocean than in a smaller river where you are 30 ft from shore? Or that managing a wet exit is important wherever you may paddle?

I am glad that you did take (I think a guy’s) advice to consider learning how to do this. But frankly, if you are going to just rush into this by just skimming over a lot of material and expecting to get instant answers to everything, you are going to be at the least frustrated, at the worst in trouble at some point.

My last comment - one more than I should probably should bother with. I do hope you enjoy the sport once you settle down.

As a selt taught

– Last Updated: Apr-15-05 9:02 AM EST –

kayaker (rec style boat) I would suggest you learn on flat water, not running water. Rivers will tend to turn ya and can put ya where ya don't wanna be. Also if ya flip , boat recovery is more difficult. I intentionally learned how far I had to go to flip mine. Also practiced wet exits(boat upside down) and other rescue techniques before attempting river paddling. Good luck and stay safe. You don't say whre ya are Harly, maybe ya can get with someone from here.

Well, that was fun…
Well, I skipped the pool and went straight for the river. Found a spot where a large bolder juts out and creates a calm area of water along the shoreline about 15’ out and 30’ long.

Donned all my gear, wetsuit, lifejacket, no skirt, helmet, bare feet + hands hoped in the Kayak and tried to get a feel for balancing. This particular Kayak, a Dagger Response 11ft±(I misspoke previously) seems to be extremely stable. I could move side to side to the point where water would invade but it didn’t flip. So I got comfortable and took two big strokes and out into the rapids I went. I was immediately spun around facing downstream. This particular area is located on the outside of a bend in the river where large boulders and long narrow strips of rock run perpendicular to the shoreline creating rapids but none with waves (chop) more than a foot high. As I passed through the waves they would go up and over the kayak and occasionally spill in a little. I paddled as I was carried downstream finally making thought the rapids I had started in which were about 30 yards wide. Once in calmer water, an eddy created by a long strip of rock about 2" under the surface I was able to re-coup and paddle up to the rock which created the eddy. Thank god for eddies! I was able to paddle up some smaller areas of swift current and eventually ended up river about where I had started, but 50 yards from shore. Basically I just paddled from eddy to eddy. I had to cross the last current but got turned around and ended up 50’ down river from where I started. I was completely worn out.

The only pic I have of this spot on the river and it’s in the background of the picture. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/harleysilo/736f5f5d.jpg

Some observations ….

1. Whenever I re-laxed my legs, i.e. quit forcing my knees into the contoured foam, I would become tipsy. As soon as I forced my legs out, control of the kayak was back. This surprised me.
  2. I thought I was observant of the currents in river b/c of my canoeing experience and extensive fishing (in this river at this spot) experience. I am not. The tiniest change in current will reach out a grab the front of my kayak and whip me around. Like when I was resting in an eddy and the front drifted out just a little bit into the current.
  3. When I am paddling into the current and on one side I hit a rock with my paddle, i.e. no force in that stroke, I’m screwed. So I used shallower strokes when I new the water was not deep.
  4. When I used the paddle as a rudder I almost flipped myself, but eventually I was able to and feel comfortable. When I was starting to get spun around I would do this to help direct the front of the kayak up river.
  5. In between strokes I used my legs to keep the front pointed up-river. I had no idea I would be using my legs, butt and abs so much.
  6. I should have tried on a still part of the river, but I’m glad I had this experience.

All in all I had a great time even though my whole experience lasted all of 14 mins. Talk about a workout! But that’s what I have been looking for, a fun, exciting way to get back in shape. I don’t like working out in a gym, I was a professional landscaper before and during college and that kept me in great shape. Sitting in this damn cube all day does not.

I’m 30 by the way and knew what kind of response I would elicit with my questions. Come over to jeepforum.com for all your jeep questions, you find the same diversity of folks on that sight. The purists, the saftey guru’s, the if you didn’t build it yourself it sucks etc.etc. Or you can catch me on gardenweb talking about my koi. I just wanted some answers fast so thanks to those that helped me out.

Nathan

And Now a word from my Sensei
The physics of judo and paddling have a lot of similarities, which is why I like both sports. My sensei says “…where the head goes, the body follows…”. I learned from a cold water capsize that this applies to paddling. If the body stays erect with the head in the middle of the boat, the boat will seem more stable. If the head starts hanging over the side, things will be tippy.

Lou

Some Good Info
Can be found at Atlantikayaktours.com

One of the things you will find there is that a wetsuit is good for water temps above 50 degrees. Below that, and you should be wearing a dry suit. I checked this with other sources, and this seems to be common wisdom. Another wise recommendation made on P.Net many times, is to test your gear, by standing in the water that you intend to paddle with your gear (i.e. wetsuit) for a couple of minutes. If you feel comfortable enough, then you are probably okay.

Glad your first encounter was a good one…Lou

Allright
Welcome to kayaking, it sounds like your addicted so be prepared for a lot more fun.