first time roll attempts

pawlatta
I’ll second the suggestion to learn a pawlatta, or an extended paddle layback roll, as your first roll. I had a hard time trying to learn a C2C roll, but the layback extended paddle roll–with a greenland paddle–was much easier and much gentler. There was a lot less temptation to muscle the boat up to overcome bad technique. Lallelulia, if you haven’t tried the technique Jay Babina teaches in 1st Roll, you should check it out. There’s a lot less chance of getting that panicky feeling you describe in your other posts, since the method never has you in a position where you’d need to wet exit. Good luck.

So I’ve heard
I do have to pick that one up sometime.

Lou

Sometime?
Several months ago would have been a good time! L

If cost is an issue, email me your address and I’ll loan you mine for a while. Consider it an intervention :wink:

PS - What rolling videos DO you have? In addition to Jay’s “1st Roll” I have “The Kayak Roll”, “EJs Rolling and Bracing”, “Rolling with Mailigiaq”, and even the somewhat silly and outdated “Grace Under Pressure”. All are VHS except EJs DVD.

I Have Kayak Roll
I’ve just had this plan in my head (that comes from input from qualified instructors) and I want to work it for a while.

I really appreciate the kind offer. While I don’t feel comfortable with borrowing other people’s stuff, I’ll take this as an official “get off your butt and get it”.

Lou

extra copy of 1st Roll
Lalleluia–Jay Babina sent me a 2nd copy of 1st Roll, since the first DVD he sent me wouldn’t work right in my elderly DVD player. Chances are it will work in yours, so I’m happy to mail it to you if you like. You can donate it to someone else when you’re done with it. If it skips in your DVD player too, you can just toss it. If you want it, send me an email with an address. I used Ken Ford’s The Kayak Roll, but I couldnt’ get it from that video. The extended paddle layback roll is really a much gentler, easier roll for a sea kayak than the sweep roll Ken Ford teaches–much as I love his video. Ist Roll worked for me the first try, and if you want to learn that roll, then move on to the one Ken Ford teaches, that might be a progression that would work better for you. On the other hand, the Inuit stuck with the roll Babina teaches for thousands of years, and it didn’t hurt them!.

Watching videos won’t interfere…

– Last Updated: Aug-19-05 6:18 PM EST –

... with your plan. It might give you some ways to improve it though. Has it really been working all that well for you? Working a plan for a while can be good, but rolling is better. It does not have to be a long process if you find one that suites you.

From what I gather from all your posts - "1st Roll" is a must have - now. The roll it teaches is without a doubt the easiest and most reliable roll. More importantly, the reverse order process it teaches is much more suited to your solo efforts and infinitely more kind in regards to your specific issues.

The videos are all different and all have a lot to offer you. They also all overlap on the key points (anything they don't agree on doesn't matter)- and that alone could make things click.

hey greyak
you going to be around tomorrow morning? I might meander down to the beach tomorrow and get out on the ocean…these lakes are getting boring.

Paul

When and where?
Depends on where I end up tonight - but If I’m home in the morning…

I alway enjoy seeing people’s initial reactions to GPs! I haven’t been out in a while (two months maybe?), and may have forgotten how to paddle!

I was thinking of just launching by my place and at least doing the standard tour of the millionaires and yachts along the river/canals/ICW to reaquaint myself with the water either tomorrow or Sunday, but nothing really planned at this point.

I’m on my way out of work now, I’ll check the board/email later.

dunno
dunno. I was going to get there early just because I get up early anyway. You mentioned a couple of spots in another thread where to park without lifeguards or paying. gotta go find that…Probably will take hollywood blvd straight out to the coast and find a spot to put in I guess…or I may go a bit more north by sunrise…

Paul

Oleta Sunday 9am?
Check you email for details. Even if my lazy butt don’t show you’ll have company and GPs! Haven’t seen any of those folks for a while so I’d like to make it.

Oleta???
What’s going on at Oleta on Sunday?

First Roll
I participated in many pool sessions, studied many books and videos (including the vaunted ‘Kayak Roll’) with very modest success. A brief lesson with a coach who used Jay Babina’s ‘First Roll’ as his model did the trick.

I bought the DVD to refresh and share.

For my money it is the best.

"a fun, relaxed paddle"
I’ll pass on the invite via email. Maybe I shouldn’t assume others would be welcome - but can’t see why not?