First time taking boat in ocean.....?

Talk to Pyranha

– Last Updated: Aug-10-11 1:23 PM EST –

mynameisamy: "BTW mine has the TERRIBLE river tour outfitting."

What specifically don't you like about it?

mynameisamy: "I was trying to find out if i could find some connect 30 to install in it???"

I'd send an email to Pyranha. If you are looking for just the bulkhead (kit), this might be possible. If you are talking about the seat and the foot braces too, that might not be any less expensive/trouble than selling the boat you have and getting the Connect 30-outfitted one.

You might also talk to the shop you bought it from.

http://www.austinkayak.com/catalog_products.php?SubcatID=210007&sort=ProdPrice&order=ASC
Fusion RT $800
Fusion Connect 30 $950

I suspect that the metal angle straps that hold the bulkhead use the same holes in the hull that the foot braces do.

– Last Updated: Aug-10-11 11:46 PM EST –

My experience with the kayak you described with one rear bulkhead was that people weren't able to self rescue. As soon as they got back in they tipped back over. So I'm basing my assessment on my experinece. That's great you are practicing your rescues. I was also providing some general guidlines for assessing the conditions. You can check out the ACA or BCU for how they rate the conditions.

You want to progress from level one on up and test out your ability in conditions not just go jump out in the ocean.

I would suggest calling around for a guided trip. There are also meetup groups down here. Search Charleston Kayak Meetup who will rent you a kayak. Then start asking questions.

Usually that is a level III trip with the Low Country Paddlers which requires having gone on Level 1 and 2.

However, do what you feel confident with with your skills and experience.

That's something you can't assess from a post on the internet.

Edit: try calling Coastal Expeditions that have a lot of kayak rentals and trips. I can't remember who rents kayak down on Edisto but would call them and see what they can do. It should be very reasonable and a good approach for the first time coastal kayaking.

@ Celia and all others
Thanks for all the help! Headed out to the Middle Yough tomorrow to try the boat on something other than the trickling stream near me. Went to an Blue Mountain outfitters and picked up some Minicel hip pads and looked at the alternatives to the foot pegs, however going to stick with the river tour outfitting, I figure the next boat I buy will be a small playboat with the GOOD outfitting this time. (I already want another, this is looking BAD for my bank account)…

Recap…

– Last Updated: Aug-11-11 12:58 PM EST –

There was a subthread above the discussion about the outfitting in the OPer's boat which was not adding useful info and started with a post of mine. I deleted it to shorten this up, but to recap any info that was unique to it -
The Fusion is a well-liked boat. Some mention of a central support pillar or not, but the OPer is finding a way to work with/around the outfitting in the package she has.

Giggle
Oh heck - you are going to end up with like 9 boats if you get interested enough in this to specialize into play boats! Then there are surf boats…

Enjoy.