Fishing the White River

One more question about the river
Since we’ll have a beginner with us it would be nice to know if there are any serious rapids from the dam on down (either when the generators are running or not running). Also, I saw a couple pictures and the river looks relatively wide. Does it narrow quickly below the dam or is it a pretty wide river for miles? I’m just curious about the physical features of the river for a few miles below the dam. We are really looking forward to this trip and want to make the best of our time on the river. Thank you all for the great info.

river

It stays wide. There are no major rapids in my opinion… even on 3 generators. There are some shoals that pick up speed etc, but nothing dtrewn with rocks you have to dodge etc… its pretty easy.

Easy, but…
Just keep in mind that when a few generators are running, it’s a high volume, powerful river, and you have to plan well ahead of time to avoid whatever obstacles you come to. Getting in close to the bank in fast-moving water can be dangerous, since you’ll encounter a few sweepers (overhanging brush and trees). You’ll have plenty of wide open channels to run, but a moment of carelessness and obstacles come upon you FAST. And flipping in the White is not a pleasant experience even in the summer. A complete novice SHOULDN’T have any trouble, but I’ve seen complete novices get into trouble due to simple indecision or carelessness, and the White is no place to mess around with.

Little Red River
Arktroutbum,

I loved your website! The kayak fishing pics are awesome. I’ve never been in a kayak, I fish from a canoe, but I’ve been thinking about moving to a kayak; my canoe is hard to load by myself. Do you have any suggestions on a good fishing kayak?

Also, I’d love to fish the Little Red someday, I’m from Southwest Missouri. We have some pretty good trout water up here (Taneycomo tailwaters, North Fork of the White, Roaring River, etc.), but I keep hearing whispers about the phenomenal fishing on the Little Red.

Any info you can provide would be appreciated. Do you have any contact info for your guide service?

Most people seem to like
Sit on top kayaks like the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 but I have a Wilderness Systems Pungo 140 and I love it for fishing. I intend to buy a sit on top in case I do any saltwater fishing, but I doubt I’ll ever trade in the Pungo. Both are quality brands at affordable prices. Make sure whatever you get, you get something with a comfortable/adjustable seat. That will make a huge difference in your overall satisfaction.