Fixed-blade knife?

Spyderco
It’s hard to beat a good quality locking Spyderco. The blade deploys just about instantaneously with a flick of your thumb and locks in place very solidly and securely. There are over 200 models so you can find one at your price point and made from what blade steel is your preference (including their “salt” series which are extremely corrosion proof). They are also easy to take apart for a thorough cleaning.

I like the pocket clips that let me keep the knife close at hand but out of sight. While I do have a couple of fixed blade knives for scuba diving, walking around with one in a sheath makes you look like a survivalist!

Food prep
For me, a good camp knife is a good food prep knife. Moras are abysmal slicers for food prep. They break carrots and apples, and they can’t slice cheese worth a darn. I think a camp knife should have a flat grind like a kitchen knife, not the scandinavian grind of a Mora. Moras are great wood whittlers and a great value, but that’s about it.

A 4 inch flat grind knife based on a kitchen knife would be my preference. It will still do all the woodwork you need.

but wait!

– Last Updated: Mar-01-16 4:58 PM EST –

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1UdBBIXXXXXa2XpXXq6xXFXXXz/Car-AUTO-Emergency-Life-Saving-font-b-Hammers-b-font-Army-font-b-Knife-b-font.jpg

I think there's a CPR response kit and a defibrillator in there somewhere.

I keep one on my PFD
I carry a CKRT Bearclaw blunt tip on the PFD. I will cut about anything, doesn’t rust and you can keep a hold of it even with hold wet hands.

http://www.crkt.com/Bear-Claw-Blunt-Tip-GlassFilledNylonSheath-Serrated-Edge

Old school works for me…
…I’ve carried a Buck #110 Folding Hunter since 1981. It replaced a Queen Cutlery 10" fixed blade that I’d had since 1960. Find a QUALITY knife that holds an edge and you like the “feel” of the knife. Take care of it and it will take care of you !

Thanks for the feedback
In the end I got it, and my son immediately claimed it for himself. So … problem solved! :wink:

"pear-handled folders"
Those pear-handled folders are called Opinels. The OP wants a knife for camping, specifically not for fishing or in the kayak. The Opi is a great knife in the campsite. Use it for food prep, cutting cord, carving wood. It won’t fold up on you. It is very sharp. It comes in a carbon steel or stainless version. It’s all-around awesome in.the.campsite, which was the inquiry.

Cheers!