Flares

An ideal signal device for kayakers?

– Last Updated: Jan-26-10 11:44 AM EST –

Nate,
I don't think there is one, which is one reason why I try to carry several different visual signaling devices. As kayakers we are all limited by space, accessibility, utility (ease and ability to deploy), effectiveness, and costs these devices pose to one's wallet. On top of that some of these pyrotechnics are very difficult to find. If you try to mail-order them wait until you see the DOT HAZMAT shipping fee! That will put you in a state of emergency (i.e. heart attack).

As an aside the Boat.us reviews also stated the following on the often carried (by kayakers) Orion Skyblazers:

"testers felt that the directions were very small and not descriptive enough to feel confident that they were firing the flare properly. This was magnified because of the units’ small size—which also gave the impression of having more apparent recoil than the bulkier SOLAS models. Proper hand placement on the device is imperative—holding it improperly can lead to excessive recoil and potential injury."

You still have to use two hands to launch a Skyblazer and probably any other aerial flare out there with the exception of a flare gun. Even with that you would use two hands to load. If out of my boat I would try jamming one leg in the cockpit while floating on my back. It would free both of my hands for flare deployment/launching. You are right it's not nearly as easy as doing it from the deck of a large ship.

I guess we get to pick our poison(s). I certainly do not have a one size fits all answer.

Similar to what I carry…

– Last Updated: Jan-26-10 12:12 PM EST –

On my pfd I have four Skyblazers in my PFD pocket, sealed in an "aloksak" bag; Lazer flare; signal mirror; and strobe light mounted on the back.

In addition I have the following in my day hatch: flashlight; several lite-sticks; Orion Pocket Rocket (4 flares); Orion Orange Smoke Flare; Pains Wessex Para Red Rocket MK3; Pains Wessex Red MK 7; Pains Wessex Pinpoint Smoke Flare.

Strobe light first
Get a good strobe light first. I carried flares for years and when they expired I lit them and one and three worked. The 12 gauge flairs were good about 1/2 the time. None of them were impressive. Uless someone is already looking at you then they will miss it. I’m not saying don’t carrey flairs, but I am saying to buy your strobe first.

For twenty years of flairs I could have bought a SPOT and been way ahead of the game.

Frank, amen…

– Last Updated: Jan-26-10 12:16 PM EST –

I did not mean to overlook a good strobe light. I carry one on the back of my pfd.

I too have found about 1 in 3 flares (Skyblazers) to be effective. I would not want to bet my life of them, which is why I try to carry multiple signaling devices, including a waterproof VHF radio.