Flatpick's invention

Bungies?..but…but…but…
But “Flatpick” does not trust “Bungies”…maybe he will invent some sort of device ( Deck clutter) to secure the blades of his spare paddle also?Hehehehe :wink:

It’s not that complicated
As long as one end of the paddle is secured by something that limits movement as well as the tubes, the other end is generally fine under bungies. You still have to be able to get the paddle in and out quickly, and on the near end bungies are usually easier. The value of anchoring one end via those tubes in terms of security is huge.

That said, on another thread about storing both GP and Euro’s it was mentioned that having non-stretchable cords that can be adjusted via sliding knots, such as are used in SOF’s, are better and more secure than regular elastic bungies. I’d wager this was correct.

no bungie
but then it is harder to replace said item under the nonbungie lines-yes???you cannot then retighten those lines…

r

Non-bungie lines
The lines on a traditional SOF double back on themselves with knots that slide back and forth to allow the line to be loosened and tightened.

There is a thread I started asking about setting up to stow either a GP and a Euro on the front deck, and bnystrom posted a link in it to pictures of deck riggings for this purpose. Take a look there. (And I don’t understand why this thread seems to be getting so complicated.)

Thanks for starting this thread
I’ve never had a spare paddle washed off the deck, but there have been times when the spare was moving around a little when hit with small waves. That was on another kayak with incredibly thin bungies and is no longer a problem, but the PVC retainer looks like a better way to go. Especially for quickly putting back the spare.

Does anyone know where…
I might get one of these?

15"sink waste arm
Just go to your local Home depot and ask for a 1 1/4" X 15" sink waste arm in black.

Falcon

My Spouse uses them, I want to
My spouse uses them on her boat. You can make them out in this photo of us that appeared in Sports Illustrated (cool huh?)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/548459586/2905699640000116350KvTwuS

I have them for my boat, but they don’t work with my epic spare. The “Length Lock” system on the Epic is to big of the PCV.

I also have a short video of Jon Walpole launching his kayak from a 30ft cliff. The paddles didn’t move at all. If you want to see the video, let me know and I’ll put it online

Wade

Avoid scratches…
How could you anchor them down to avoid scratches? It seems like they’d rub if they moved at all where the shock-cord comes through.

Scratches happen
One of the biggest argument for light colored decks is that they don’t show damage from reality (scratches) as much. The only way to avoid reality - scratches is to get clear plastic, like they use for cars, and put it over the places where things tend to rub. Spare paddles will scratch some, holders for spare paddles will scratch less.

Having a spare paddle? Priceless.

Not 1 1/4"
Paddle shafts are bigger.

Standard sink drain pipe is 1 1/2"

dont’ need glue
I have similar setup but I DO NOT have the bungie running through the PCV. Instead I’ve used the rubber gaskets to position the tubes were I want them and lock them down.

They’ve been like that for 1.5 years and I’ve never had any problems.

Wade

1 1/2"
My mistake 1 1/2" Thanks Rusty

Falcon

like that idea
sounds cool…better placement

any pix of this idea yet?
i would love to see this idea witht he gasket-any pix???

thanks

rob

well-
i had to go with white…it seems that there are NO black waste arms in the Southern New England area…urgh…

put em on last night…

i did add a piece of stickyback foam to the end of the bend touching the hull

a)to kee the ends from moving

b)keep it a bit cleaner i think…

i also added a bit of sticky back to the underside of the open ends of the tubes where they touch the deck-it seemed like they could slide sideways a bit by wave action or impact.

!i did notice that where they are positioned on my stern the paddle does come further forward than it previously was-covering the day hatch cover…some one had suggested stringing line through the holes instead of the present bungee to be able to position them better-might have to do that…I know that my fiancee will want them on her tempest when she sees them so 2nd generation will most likely be black and better positioned…

thanks for all the words!!!

rob

here are pics
Here’s a link to Jonathan Walpole’s page. Go to the photo section and check out some of the kayak pictures. If you have time check out all of the pictures. The guy has taken some amazing trips.

Also a very nice guy.

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~walpole/kayaking.html

I found black ABS at the local…
…True Value Hardware store.

The label reads: 1-1/2" X 15" ABS SLIP JOINT WASTE ARM.

This appears to be the item number: 2180-T.

The packaging says Thrifco Quality Products. Thrifty Supply Co., 22 Bluesky Ct., Sacramento, CA 95828.

These seem to have a thin wall (just a tad more than 1/16", I’d guess) which easily accepts my Lendal paddleshafts.

Here’s a couple of shots of similar ideas:

http://www.normjone.com/brooks/pages/17Brooks.html

http://www.normjone.com/brooks/pages/18Brooks.html

Hope this helps.

local???where are you???

Wow!
who was complaining about the Tempests not being good rough water baots???

i love the new movies in there…sweet…

saw lots of these paddle holders but no closeups of them…have to figure it out on my own i guess…

r