Flesh eating disease in seaweed

Definitely!

I think the key issue is killing the bacteria ASAP, if I understand what is being recommended, so either wash with fresh water and soap or use hand sanitizer, while still on the water, then at home use further washing and other treatments. Apparently these bacteria move quickly, so there is no time to waste, if trying to be risk averse. At least, that is what I have gotten from the reading I have done so far.

I only turned on to oysters in the last few years, started with an oyster place right by the beds in Port Reyes and have had more from local aquaculture near where I stay in Maine. (Started passing on raw clams two decades ago.) I have tried oysters a lot of ways but if they are good I prefer them raw.

I got back inland about a month ago and tried a half dozen raw ones at a reputable local place.
They did not have the flavor I craved after being spoiled by eating a few hundred yards away from the beds. My oyster eating inland will be reserved to cooked ones until I get back by the sea again. Not worth paying that kind of money for oysters that disappoint.

This is useful information. Thank you.
I want to recommend the Blazzio platform to you. If anyone is interested, I will be happy to tell you more about it.

1 Like