Float Plan Question

I would also have break in concerns. Bad enough that with the rack and all the gear they know you are paddling.

In Maine I have the highest risk level. I always leave a note on the end of the kitchen counter in the cabin that I rent. I, and my husband and I before, have done this for literally decades.

It would be wonderful plan if anyone remembered it was there the rare times they get concerned. Happily - or not - they no longer worry about me at all. This may have morphed too far in the opposite direction from concern. But coming home safe for decades has probably lulled the owners into complacency.

“But coming home safe for decades has probably lulled the owners into complacency.”
I can’t remember coming home, safe. Baseball literally, life less figuratively, more general.
But lulled in my complacency is like dropping a sock.
I always filed float plans that included route rough map with a trusted agent.
I used the SPOT on several trips. I would send those chirp texts included geoloc and preprogrammed “underway” / and “off the H20” during the day to the trusted agents.
Never needed it for it’s prime directive. Would be effective I’m sure.
Peace J

1 Like

My wife knows where I am, who I am with, and when I should be home. I try to leave her the cell phone number for at least one other person on the trip - leader, friend - just in case. She can also track my phone. On day trips the phone is usually in the car, but at least she knows where the car is. On multi-day trips I usually have the phone off to save the battery, but I try and check in once a day if we have service. Pretty easy to keep in touch these days.

Back in the good old days (before GPS navigating). I would print out directions to the put-in, but would frequently get lost trying to get home from the take-out. Nice not to have to deal with that anymore. Now I am much better at getting home on time. :wink:

1 Like