Florida FreeStyle Symposium !!!

Side Trips
Following the Florida Freestyle Symposium there will be a couple of “organized” paddles on local streams. Does anyone have any favorites in the Jacksonville/Yulee area? Ideally the streams would be tight, twisty, winding and with good scenery. Hopefully we can keep shuttles to a maximum of a half hour or so. Lofton Creek looks like one possibility.

Marc Ornstein

Dogpaddle Canoe Works

Custom Paddles and Cedar Strip Canoes

I’m on Board!
I understand lunch is crab cake sandwiches!

Florida in March aaah
the WHOLE MONTH yet…

I will be there if a Glades gator doesnt have me for a snack…

I was thinking mango milkshakes from Robert is Here…and oysters with a good beer.

Who should attend / what class

– Last Updated: Oct-31-09 1:42 PM EST –

I've gotten a number of inquiries from people interested in attending the Florida Freestyle Symposium but confused about what class to attend or even if they possessed the necessary skills to attend.

Let me start off by saying that at any of the Freestyle symposiums there are classes from beginner level on up. If you have an interest in learning how to handle a canoe or improve your skills, we likely have a suitable class for you. Although our emphasis will be on flat-water skills, most of what we teach is transferable to moving water and whitewater.

Level 1
This is an introduction to Freestyle class, beginning with a review of basic flatwater skills. It is recommended for paddlers who are new to freestyle. Efficient maneuvers begin with technically precise forward, reverse and correction strokes. In this class you will learn freestyle concepts, and terminology and will fine tune your existing skills. We will also begin some basic freestyle maneuvers.

Level 2
Picks up where level 1 leaves off. Basic flatwater strokes are reviewed before moving on to the forward, onside quadrant freestyle moves. These include the axle, post, christie and wedge. Usually we work into sideslips as well.

Level 3
Begins with a review of the above and then moves on to onside reverse maneuvers including reverse axles, reverse posts, reverse christies and reverse wedges.

Level 4
Begins with a review of level 2 and 3 maneuvers and then moves on to the forward cross or offside quadrant. Maneuvers include the cross axle, cross post, cross christie and cross wedge. Often we will include cross sideslips.

Level 5
Again, we review the above material before moving on to the cross or offside reverse quadrant. Maneuvers taught include the cross reverse axle, cross reverse post, cross reverse christie, and cross reverse wedge.

More information is available from the class information page which can be found from the link to the Florida Freestyle Symposium on the Freestyle website, www.freestylecanoeing.com .

Class size is generally limited to 5 students. As such, we can be reasonably flexible and adjust what we teach to those in the class. It is also common for us to suggest and accommodate class changes (after the first session)to those students who would benefit.

I invite any past symposium attendees and or instructors to chime in with their comments.

Marc Ornstein
Dogpaddle Canoe Works
Custom Paddles and Cedar Strip Canoes

Class sizes are small.
There is a lot of one on one instruction. The instructors are great at recognizing what will help you the best.

My first symposium I was a mess. Marc, in particular, took me under his wing and helped me. But there have been lots of people over two years that have given me great tips.

a little more info…
There are three class sessions, and one would typically stay at the same level for the three sessions unless, as Marc stated previously, you perhaps would be moved as skill level would suggest. There is a different instructor for each session so that the student can experience different teaching styles, etc.

Regardless if you plan to utilize a lot of FS maneuvers or not, you will most likely leave the Symposium a much improved paddler than than when you first arrived.

Lots of fun, too!

Level 1 can include
people who have an interest in solo canoeing. Some experience is helpful but we have had people brand new.

This level is often broken into two groups…those with some experience and some for which this is entirely new territory. Which end of the boat goes first is actually a common question.

So if you have never canoed, there is still a place for you.

I’m wondering
if I would benefit by attending, since I paddle a pack canoe (Vermont Tupper) with a double blade, and my canoe can’t be configured for kneeling.

FS deals only with
single blade paddling. Wouldn’t apply to your boat, but if you want to attend just for fun and try your hand at single blading, I think there may be boats for rent. And you will have a good time! There is talk of some day tripping after the event and I imagine all are welcome. You obviously have a passion for paddling and it’s always fun to meet like minded folks.

… can’t be configured for kneeling
"… and my canoe can’t be configured for kneeling."

I think this problem could easily be rectified with a sawzall and a neatly carved two-by-four. I’ll bring the sawzall; and I trust Marc to come up with the ultimate anatomically conforming kneeler “thweat”.

I hope you show up at the Symposium at some point, because I would like to see (and paddle?) your boat.

Nearby food and lodging for those who
don’t want to stay in a bunk house. Two miles away from the college are the following places to stay and eat: Country Inns & Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Confort Inn, Wendys, McDonalds,Burger King, KFC/Pizza Hut, Subway Domono’s Pizza, Dairy Queen and Krystal.

No sharp saws near my baby, please!
When I asked Rob Scharges if my canoe could be outfitted with a seat that would allow kneeling, he said it wasn’t designed for that and would be too shallow and tender. It has a cane seat almost on the floor.

I would love to come up and do the recreational paddles after the symposium. I haven’t paddled much up that way, but Kayak_Ken lives there and should be an excellent resource for nearby streams.

It would be so much fun to meet some other canoe people. Solo canoes are extremely rare in central Florida.

A big thanks
to all of you for filling in the gaps. I was hoping that would happen so there would be more than one perspective.

Ken, I would appreciate it if you would email me directly and perhaps include a phone number. I’d like to talk about the local paddling opportunities and it sounds like you may have that knowledge. You can email me at dogpaddle@frontiernet.net.

Sissy, I’m sure if you ask nicely, someone would lend you kneeling canoe for the weekend. We will likely have rentals available but I can’t confirm that yet.

Finally, I know there are many who are coming but have not yet registered. Early registrations will make my job easier and allow me to plan accordingly.

Marc Ornstein

Florida Freestyle Symposium Update
Florida Freestyle Update

I’d like to thank those who have sent their registrations in early. The registrations received have brought us almost to the break even point on fixed expenses.

From the registrations and other communications received, it is clear that we’ll have plenty of instructors. Mark Molina has offered to do a “Heeling and Kneeling Class”. Although this is not shown on the registration form, you may write in the request. The fee will be the same as for other class offerings.

We’re still waiting for confirmation on the CPR Class.

Please keep in mind that space in the bunk houses is limited. If you plan on utilizing those accommodations, registering early will ensure your space.

I’ve already received several suggestions for day trips to be held after the symposium. One person has suggested he might lead a trip in the Sparkleberry swamp in South Carolina for those heading back north. If anyone has a specific trip request in the Jacksonville area or would like to lead an after event day trip in an area that they know, please send me an email. In a future update I’ll list the offerings.

With the first signs of real winter just beginning to reach those of us in the north , it’s a good time to start thinking about warm, sunny Florida.

Best holiday wishes to all.

Marc Ornstein