Florida State park paddling questions

fisheating creek
Fisheating Creek is a gem of a creek for gator and wildlife watchers. Located in Palmdale Fl w/o Lake Okeechobee on US27. It’s not spring fed so water levels can get really low in winter. As of now it’s raining and were expecting more rain this weekend. Levels are at 1.2’ @ the palmdale gage, I’ve paddled tandem,loaded with 3 days camping gear and was in the boat 3/4 of the time on a 10 mile trip @1.4’. The best is 3.0’-4.0’ you can still follow the creek channel and come across plenty of “gator islands”. If we get the rain this weekend I’ll be there the 7-9th.If the levels are good I highly suggest this creek it. Have a safe trip.

Jim

Thanks Jim
That looks like a interesting paddle, and we have never done it.

Unfortunately it is way too far south for what we are looking for right now.

I’ll book mark it for another time though.

Much appreciated.

Cheers,

JackL

They are both too big, but
the smaller of the two just might be able to nest in the upside down canoe if it will fit under the thwarts.

I am going to try to put the big one between the canoe and one of the yaks.

I’ll know later on today

Cheers,

jackL

Manatte Springs
just has a short run from the spring to the Suwanne, which is only about 100 yards long. It is roped off for swimmers, and I do not think you can paddle in this short headwaters.

Paynes Prarie has a small lake with a boat ramp. If you are there anyway, it is not a bad paddle but i do not think it could be billed as a paddling destination. Their hiking trails are pretty impressive, though, with lots of turkey and deer and hardwoods. And there are allegedly wild horses on the prairie, but I have never seen them.

Have you ever paddled the Wacissa? Closer to Tallahassee, but nice day trip. If you go in late winter or ealry spring, there are large colonies of swallow tail kites and this is the only place I know where you are almost guarantted a limpkin sighting.

Lake Wauberg and Newnan’s Lake
Lake Wauberg: Easy launch from inside Paynes Prairie State Park. Small lake. Often see eagle families, especially in January.

Newnan’s Lake and Prarie Creek/Potano Paddling Trail: Easy launch from either Earl P. Powers county park (5910 SE Hawthorne Road) or Kate’s Fish Camp (http://www.katesfishcamp.com/). Large lake, mostly undeveloped with lots of bird life and gators, and newly designated Potano Paddling Trail (http://www.gainesville.com/article/20090411/ARTICLES/904111012?Title=New-trail-appeals-to-canoeists-kayakers).

Thanks,
We have already ruled that out since we have paddled the Santa Fe and Suwannee many times

Jack L

Thanks, that looks interesting
I’ll book mark it for possibilities

Cheers,

JackL

state parks
Don’t go to any state parks. Duxbury Bay is better.

You must be some mystery paddler
that I know - Fess up - put your profile on !

It’s too dam cold this time of year up there.

Besides I gave up a few years ago trying to find that cut from the the end of the Powder Point Bay to Green Harbor It simply doesn’t exist - From both sides we always end up in dead end ten foot tall marsh grass.

Did the outside thing this year and got as far as Gurnet Light on the Ocean side, but had to return due to lack of time.

Next year we need to get a group together and paddle from Plymouth to P-Town. Stay overnight, and then return the next day. - I’m in !

Cheers,

JackL

mystery paddler?
I don’t know who you think I might be.

Forget Ptown. I usually paddle to the Vineyard from the Bay.

lytt

Keep cool
Hey Jackl where have you been. Long time no write. Is your heat on or are you far enough south?

Regards from the bay.

lytt

HE’S BEEN DOWN HERE WITH THE REST OF
…us freezing Floridians. It’s been pretty danm chilly here this week -right now it’s 48 up here in Coconut Grove, 52 at Big Pine, just a tad south of where they are at Bahia Honda, with a forecast high of 72 -surely sorely hoped for.

Hope their new trailer has good heat, because they’ll have needed it now for most of a week even down there. Jack has complained to the SoFla & Conch contingents of P-Net, but aside from acting as Chamber of Commerce apologists, there’s not much we can do apart from shivering just like them. Hope they’ve gotten out on the warmer days, because I don’t think they do much kayaking (maybe they get that Jensen going?) when the weather turns “Florida cold” like this.

It’s forecast to warm up for a few days, then to cool again as we get another blast from our Canadian “friends” -some friends! -comes thru. If they’re lucky, they’ll warm up enough to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

You know good rotten friz a frat
How about you and I and Nanci paddling from Plymouth to PEI???

she is the brain who put 2 and 2 together !

Cheers,

JackL

LOL!

– Last Updated: Jan-10-10 12:27 AM EST –

Like the bad pirate captain who stole Jack's ship in 'Pirates of the Caribbean' slowly says in that deep, gravelly voice of his-
"Jack, Jack, Jack..."

I ain't no frizz a frat, and I can't control the weather (I'm workin' on it, just gimme some time, OK?), and you're STILL a helluva lot better'n you'd be in either North Carolina OR Mass...!

And I'll take that Plymouth-to-PEI paddle with you & Nanci -in a paddle wheeler!

Don't blame the Bride, m'boy -at least I don't think so -she's the one who puts up with you and your thermostat elevations, so you be good to her, you rapscallion, you!

Hey, what's a few days like this to escape a more than few months of it up there so you can, in-between cool snaps, get out on the waters down here, pick up all those poor little sharks & gators, and

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

P.S. I just saw what you wrote Sissy -sounds like an awful lotta complainin' fer a guy having that much fun...

I was replying to LYTT
But you’re also a no good rotten friz a frat if that’ll make you happy.

By the way - love this cold weather, it’s giving us a break from paddling.

Cheers,

JackL

Paynes Prairie SP
Paynes prairie has a small lake to paddle in, it has lots and lots of gators too. The bad part is, if you put in at the SP. you cannot use a motor which is really no problem. , but the downside, the Univ. of Fla has a park on the other side and their water skiing team practices on the lake. The ramp is nice and the lake is also nice plus the fishing is good too.

Manatee Springs, there is a ramp and a stream that goes out to the Suwannee river, you cannot paddle in the springs, the Suwannee is rather wide in this section and does have large boating traffic.

friz a frat
Hey Jackl

There ain’t no swearin on this here format. The weather ain’t so bad neither. Suck it up you wimp.

( It took a woman to figure it out? )

lytt

Us high end paddlers with high end …
boats and high end ends are allowed to say whatever we want to.

It’s you lowly peasants with your cute little baby rec boats that have to watch your language.

Cheers,

jackL