Flying with sea kayaks

Real numbers
Last year was something like 50 plastic boats shipped. This year it’s been 3 in the last month. These boats are wrapped in cheese cloth, 2-3layers of industrial bubble wrap and then felt. You can never see the damage until the package is unwrapped. It is always caused by poor loading techniques and piling things on top of a boat that is clearly labeled “TOP LOAD ONLY, NO FORKLIFT, TEAM HANDLE, FRAGILE.”

UPS and FedEx will not handle boats because of their size. I have not worked with DHL so I am unfamiliar with their shipping policies but $250 to Alaska sounds too low.

I recommend cutting your boat into three pieces and installing additional bulkheads effectively creating your very own 3 piece boat. That also solves your storage problem. There are plenty of articles on the internet from people have cut apart production boats to create multi-piece boats. Then pack the things as checked luggage, well wrapped of course.

I think I would
think Feathercraft. Check this link : http://www.foldingkayak.com/

He takes trips to Alaska every year with folders, a lot less hassle than worring if your kayak will arrive damaged or at all.

I would love to have a Feathercraft
Lyn,

Don’t forget, we don’t have nice sand beaches, it is rough rocks, barncles, and tides are extreme. I have a plastic boat so that I don’t wince everytime I land. I know others have the nice glass boats, but I don’t want to have to carry my fully loaded kayak up a beach. I don’t want to sway you away from using your own kayak, I know if it were me, I would want the comfort of my own boat, but it’s pretty rough here. Just things to think about…while you still have time to plan your adventure.

:slight_smile:

Donna

Decision is made
Thanks so to Donna, Cooldoc, and especially paddle-pirate (for reminding me to call Tom).

We are going to rent from him instead of taking the risk of flying in the boats. He gave us a fair price for the 3 weeks, and is such a pleasure to deal with and is a great source of information.

Some time this summer I will try out a folder again.

Lyn

Awesome!
Glad you guys got a good deal. Tom’s a cool guy. I first met him when he taught a two day course in Whittier w/Alaska Sea Kayakers a few years back. Wasn’t a dull moment with him instructing. A couple of editors (really nice folks) from Coast Magazine were in the class as well. Never did get around to seeing that issue. :slight_smile:

So, now you can concentrate on planning your paddling places and having a good time.

YAY !!!
First step taken, boats reserved…NEXT:…item on the list.

Good for you, I’m as excited as you, about you coming here to paddle.

:slight_smile:

Donna

Way less than $800 a year I bet.
I bet you can find all sorts of folks in Alaska that will let you store you boats there until next year for way less than $800. Once you get to Alaska with your boat you might be able to take it on a ferry to where you want to paddle.

Rented boat comfort question
How are you going to deal with the issue of boat comfort. are you going to find out what boat he’ll be renting to you and try it in NYC?

It is so much easier with bicycles, just pack your own seat and gloves. I find a huge diffence in comfort levels in every different boat I try.

great question
That’s why we rented from Tom instead of a local in Whittier. I paddle an Explorer LV and Dan had a WS Tempest for years and those are the boats we’re renting from Tom.

As I said in my earlier post, last year the boats were poorly fitting and we vowed never to spend 3 weeks in an uncomfortable kayak again. (Disclaimer: 3 weeks in an uncomfortable kayak is better than one day at work!!)

BTW, renting from Tom Pogson is like undergoing an interview!! He is really a cautious and conscientious outfitter and actually asked for paddling references before he’d consider renting to us. And his willingness to share local knowledge is genuine and impressive. I think we spent 1.5 hours talking on the phone about everything from the prettiest glaciers to the best tents. This makes the decision to rent from him that much better.

Lyn