Folding or modular touring kayak on $2000 budget

Though you seem to be settled on a motorized or pedal drive kayak, you might want to keep your eyes peeled for a Feathercraft Java if you really want something light and easy to use. The Java is their hybrid inflatable sit on top with a partial stiffening frame. I regretted not getting one before they closed up shop back in 2016, but kept looking until I found a very well maintained used one for sale last year. Here are a few photos. The kayak can be set up for either solo or tandem (comes with two seats with several connection locations), has both a very good drop down skeg and Feathercraft’s famous rudder (so popular they used to sell them separately for people to retrofit to hardshells), is 16’ long and only weighs 33 pounds (36 with the second seat and rudder installed.

Shell is tough cordura fabric with vinyl bladders inside that are quickly filled via a cluster of 4 valves at the stern. I do it with a hand pump, only takes a few minutes for each. Faster on the water than any hardshell sit on top I have ever used and can be set up in 15 minutes. The rigid adjustable foot pegs and relatively narrow beam make it pretty effortless to paddle.

They do turn up sometimes – since buying this one I have seen 2 others pop up at various places around the country. I paid $650 for this plus $130 to have the seller ship it to me. Because they were so costly new, most Feathercraft owners took good care of them – I have bought 3 used ones over the years and all were in excellent condition other than superficial scuffs on the rubberized bottoms (just like on any used kayak or canoe).

Link here to catalog specs: https://www.feathercraft.com/java

Java Kayak

Update: I’ve been looking at the used market and spotted someone selling a Trak Seeker at a relatively inexpensive price. From what I’ve read it paddles exactly like a high-end sea kayak, just like the Trak 2.0. It also has a surprisingly quick assembly time of 10 mins. Only drawbacks are the weight of 48 lb and it packing down to a length of 50 inches, so it may occur over size baggage fees. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any used Pakboats.