Follow-up: inside pump storage

foam
After pondering all the ideas, I like Wetzool’s foam set up the best so have placed an order for Minicel. Dap gel contact cement or Barge cement will be used to glue it in, assuming the fiberglass should also be roughed up.

One measurement question - how do I create a template of the inside curve/contour of the deck so I can trim the Minicel to tightly follow that curve when gluing in?

Two tips
There is no need to roughen the fiberglass, just clean it with water, then again with lacquer thinner or another solvent that leaves no residue.

The foam doesn’t have to fit that precisely, since it’s flexible. I just cut it to approximate shape, then use a Surform tool or sandpaper to refine the contour to get a reasonably close fit. The flexibility of the foam will take care of any minor gaps. Just press it in place firmly.

coping
You can mark the curve of the hull by holding the flat foam lightly against the curved deck. At the most peaked point of the deck there will be a gap. If it’s 1/2", then set a compass to at least a half inch, or use a spacer like a block of wood or whatever to hold a pen that distance off the deck. Then draw a line on the foam that’s always 1/2" from the deck. Cut or shape along the line, and you’ll have a nice fit.

Probably not so important for a small block under the deck, but for larger things like foam seats and hip braces, this kind of coping is really useful.

What a splendid idea, Nate!
We won’t even go into why I didn’t think of that. I get more good ideas from these forums than all of the magazines I have ever read! I think I know how I will make my next foam bulkhead footrest pattern. Ken…

my only concern
with these clips is that I am afraid that I will break them off when I ‘mistreat’ my boat.

Putting it on the roof or storage rack upside-down or pulling gear across the hull when I need something or are packing or unpacking it.

I an NOT a very gentle person with cars of boats which is why I don’t own fiberglass anymore. Plastic is far more forgiving to my treatment.

no clips
That’s why I finally decided to go the glued in foam sert up that both Wetszool and Brian both suggested.

This post was extremely helpful, starting out with the clip idea and then making a decision based on feedback. Minicel instead of clips on order.