Followup to Kayak car question

Rav4
I like my 2010 Toyota Rav4 4 cycl.

Back seat folds down flat and I can sleep in it at 5’ 10"

The stock rack works great.

they do slope
but they also compress. I’ve moved 2 friends in the last year and the slope wasn’t an issue. The car holds more than some SUVs. As far as sleeping, if you use a pillow, you can probably get a good night’s sleep. If you sleep flat, get a van. I haven’t tried it yet, but it seems inevitable so will post a ‘sleep report’ when I do.

It’s a really nice kayak car.

Lyn

Tried the Fit once
Very impressive little buggy. Lots more room that it looks like it should have inside, peppy even with a slushbox (Automatic), and very good on fuel. Fun to drive, too. Very well designed interior that maximizes useable space when desired.

The Elantra touring looks very good for paddling. Another one to definitely give a look.

Spread for Crossbars
Have you seen a KIA Sorento? It has really long factory roof rails and would give you the spread you want for your crossbars…

No mention of Saab or Volvo wagon
Not sure why but the SAAB95/Volvo V70 wagons provide all the features you seek, and a flat load floor that can sleep two adults. Lots of cargo options too. Used versions can be had in the 10-15K range. With regular maintenance, they are pretty serviceable. I’ve owned both and prefer the Saab95 Wagon with front wheel drive and 4 snows in the winter for all-around load carry/features/flying under the cop radar/resale value. I also own a CRV but never use it for hauling boats. Too narrow load spread.

First Year Cars
I am looking for a replacement for my 2005 Prius. I can sleep in it and it can haul gear. I am 6’4". I would like something a little bigger. The first year cars are the Prius v, Ford Cmax, and Hyundai HED-5. I really do not like first year cars. Some other cars with the 6-speed auto are Chevy Equinox, Hyundai Tuscon, and Kia Sportage. The Elantra touring and Sportage are the front runners right now.

JimZ

If you are selling the prius …
… at a time that I’d be looking to replace mine (getting near 180K miles mark on my '02) give me a PM -:wink: