Food pack choices

Garcia Bear Barrel
If I’m packing for myself I have a Garcia Bear Barrel which I put into a Kelty Day pack. There is plent of extra room in the pack for waterfilter, saw, stove, etc. I carry that pack with the canoe.

However, I used to carry either a 5 gallon or 3 gallon bucket fitted with a gamma seal. The gamma seal is certainly secure enough and the seal is waterproof. I thought they worked great. I bought a cheap, canvas pack from Sportsmans Guide that the bucket fit in, and there was room around the sides for items and two side pockets that fit all kinds of stuff.

If anything I think the 7 gallon may be a bit big. A 5 gallon should fit all your food and the stove and other kitchen items don’t need to be in the bucket.

You can make your own harness. It sounds like a good DIY project if you like that kind of thing. If you don’t, a pack may be cheaper and certainly easier.

The bucket will indeed be mouse proof. I know it is not bear proof, but I have never had a bear try to get into one.

I think you’re on the right track … or rather, a right track. I believe that there is more than one right way to do a thing.

My BWCA solution
was to go with a Cabelas dry bag/pack. It held everything (too much food, JetBoil, JB 1.5L pot I really didnt need, water filter, water bottles, kitchen, trash) and it carried pretty well.

It also fit well under my boat while portaging. Doc and Frank “hid” their food packs, I hung mine. None of us suffered any attacks.

Jim

I was at

– Last Updated: Jun-05-07 9:13 AM EST –

Nova Craft in London Ontario this weekend and I saw a really nice system - yellow barrel for about $30.00 bucks and a separate harness system for approximately $90.00 I didn't check the rig out extensively but I do recall it being very rugged and well thought out.

I have been to Tupperware
potty parties on islands where you bury your thing in cat litter in the tupperware.

Since you can carry more in a canoe, the blue barrels make more sense. You dont have to pack small.

The cutout square in the top of the barrel does need to be addressed. and the barrel rim hurts if you have a long book.

Here it is
Headstrongpacks.com

Barrel with portage harness

http://www.headstrongpacks.com/Store_USA.htm

Piragis too
Barrels are relatively cheap; Good harnesses are pricey.

Jim