Food question

cooking
there are a few recipes at www.wildernesscooking.com and more will be added as time goes on.

also if I am overstepping bounds here then the moderators can delete this post…

… but I have written a comprehensive cookbook for paddlers and backpackers and it just came out - the book is called A Fork in the Trail and you can find out more at www.aforkinthetrail.com

basically it covers everything from dehydration to baking and it also has information on converting your own favorites into non-perishable, lightweight meals that taste really good.

I got really sick of the pre-packaged fare - not just taste-wise but expense-wise as well.

Head of Cabage
Or do what I do, shred and dehydrate the cabbage. Dehydrated cabbage weighs a fraction and whole head will fit in a large sandwich bag.

Rehydrates well and actually taste pretty good dry.

If you mix with dehydrated lemon/lime, dried apples, salt and pepper.

Rehdrated with a little water for an hour. Then toss with olive oil and either sunflower seeds, sausage, or canned tuna, you have a very fine full meal salad.

no problem here
I’ve been working on preservation/recipes/storage techniques myself.I’ll try to relay my successes and failures as they occur though not for commercial gain(poke),at least not yet anyway

food
lol - commercial gain - that’s funny. if only you knew how much this book put me in the hole. seriously (and you can ask any paddling book author this) - you do this for the passion because it certainly isn’t something that you could live off of.

anyway I’ll try to chime in with some of the new recipes I am creating - I only wish this site had a recipes section (that would be easier)

agreed
I have thought the same thing a time or three. I mean they are sometimes in the articles. Then other times people post some. just a big recipe box on the site would be great. I mean even I am not too lazy to use that!

Liveoutside

All sorts of options.
If you have a dehydrater you can dehydrate all sorts of vegitables. If you want to cut the weight you can dehydrate canned tuna or chicken. After frying hamburger, run hot water through it until all the fat is gone, then dehydrate it.

You can then used the dehydrated meats with Hamburger, Chicken or Tuna Helper.

Lipton and Knoor make several pasta or noodle side dishes. By adding dehydrated vegitables and meats you can make a one pot meal.

The dehydrated meat goes well with stuffing or mashed potatoes especially if you bring a gravy packet.

Dehydrate salsa or spaghetti sauce. Using the hamburger you have the makings for spaghetti or tacos (use soft tortillas or angel hair pasta).

Dehydrate green beans or broccoli and using a dried packet of cream of mushroom soup you can easily make green bean or broccoli casserole. Jazz it up with fried onion or bread crumbs and sliced almonds.

Use your imagination and think a little outside the box and you will see all sorts of options at the grocery store.

If you do not want to dehydrate, as mentioned there is plenty of meat products available in the foil packs. You can easily find dehydrated vegitables and fruits at most organic grocery stores.

Italian Sausage
When my wife and I go out for 3-4 day trips in the everglades we take a small soft cooler with us for the first night. Try this recipe:

2 Italian sausage links cut up into pieces. 1 red pepper cut up into pieces. 1 small onion cut up into pieces. 1 clove of garlic cut up. 1 Tbsp of olive oil, 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.

Wrap all ingredients in nonstick foil and double layer the foil. The foil packet should be small enough to fit into a quart ziplock bag.

Throw the foil packet into the campfire and cook 5 minutes on each side for a total of 20 minutes.

drying sausage
you can also dehydrate Italian Sausage with good results. You have to cook it (take it out of the casing first) and rinse it several times before drying and add a little crushed red pepper to jack the heat back up. It is a wonderful addition to the dried spaghetti sauce with some sweet peppers.