Food

No filter on the Green
Can’t use a filter on the Green River - too much silt/minerals. I mean, it’s possible to use one but it is a painstakenly process. My friend lost a bunch of his water early in the trip and eventually had to pump later. It was “pump-pump-pump-clean” etc. I’m talking a couple of ounces per several minutes. You wouldn’t want to use it unless in an emergency. In those heat conditions a gallon a day is a minimum. I could easily have drank more per day.

me cook with fire not magic(eom)

Got food…what about water?
My staple is salami and cheese sandwiches on bagels. They hold up well in the heat and are very filling. I despise peanut better and jelly.

My question is drinks. How do I pack my kayak with water. Do I take a big gallon container or smaller bottles? A filter is not an option here.

Unless . . .
. . . you are paddling salt water, a drop of household bleach in a pint of water (2 drops if the water is very cold) makes it safe to drink.

IV BAGS

– Last Updated: Oct-29-08 7:50 AM EST –

You can buy the IV style water bags that I have used.
they are very resistant to punctures and will mold into about anywhere in your kayak for packing when they are full.
I use them for weight distribution in my boat and you can hook up a line on one for refreshment while you are paddling.
But, for food you can still get the C-ration style of food that is ready to eat like MRE's are, only they are not dried, so you don't need to add water.

One meal is 1000 calories which is like the old C-rats I had in the service.
They only gave us one meal a day and a canteen of water and I survived on that for six months.
So, you only need to pack one meal per day of travel.

JR Rude

Better not try that
in a National Park :slight_smile:

ditto on the folgers coffee bags
they make a pretty good cup of coffee

2 liter soda bottles fit in the bow and
stern where nothing else dares to go.

Plus you can freeze them beforehand…cold fresh water.

food
If I had to eat crap while paddling I wouldn’t go. Take food with you. If you are only going for a couple days as you suggested you shouldn’t have so much gear that food would be an issue. Personally I take fresh meat for the first few days, potatoes, eggs, etc, and cook over fire.

The bladders . . .
. . . from 5 liter wine boxes also work well. Take them full of wine for a happy paddle.

sure
Sure I’ve paddled all day on powerbars and gatorade. But its way better with a cooler full of delicious food and beers.

Check here for my fish taco recipe.

http://www.adventurecanoe.com/forum/topic/tilapia-fish-taco-recipe

It’s actually quite nice to have some delicious food after a hard day of paddling. I have however gone three days on powerbars, goo and similar food but it was not fun.

-James

http://www.adventurecanoe.com

Maybe I’m missing something…

– Last Updated: Jul-12-09 6:53 PM EST –

Why would you want to? Do you have an affinity for saw dust paste?

I'm asking honestly, can you not fit a week's worth of food and items into a (sea) kayak? Even my "miniscule" 15 foot kayak has cavernous hatch space compared to my backpack. Unless you have to bring lawn chairs, a tent you can stand up in, a dual burner Coleman stove and most importantly, a fresh, full set of clean clothes every day, a mix of dry, dehydrated and fresh food, a backpacking stove plus fuel, shelter, clothes, sleeping gear, a days worth of water plus filtration equipment should fit just fine.

Unless you're on saltwater, you have a source of water nearby I hope. What are you floating your boat on? At worse, gather that silty river water in a folding bucket (kind of like a dry bag) and filter it through a couple layers of bandanna into another container. Filter or treat to suit. Treat enough water to get you through the next day. Carrying 5-7 days worth of water would be a deal-breaker for sure. That's the beauty of inland canoeing/kayaking over hiking; you're guaranteed to have a source of water nearby.

Phreon

I had a friend who did that
She was so hungry most of the week.