Footbraces

Duckworks has them
Sea-Lect foot braces:

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/canoe-kayak/footbrace/index.htm

Easy Solution!!!
This particular problem that you are trying to solve (foot pegs staying put when the boat is upside down) on WS is well known, unfortunately.

Fortunately, there is a very easy and cheap solution. FOrgot the link with images, but it goes something like this: cut a 2" long piece of plastic/rubber tubbing and stuff it between the foot rails adjustment bar and the foot rail. You may want to attach that 2" piece to a short length of lanyard of some sort so that you do not lose it. Problem solved.

For barefoot paddling, you may want to put a thin layer of minicell foam on the foot pegs and wrap with electrical tape. Makes a huge difference in comfort if you are pushing against them at all…

Could you explain that a bit more?
Where does the tube go? Does the tube stay put if you make an adjustment? Or do you need to remove it?

I’m considering yakima retrofits - sounds like they are durable and you can adjust them using both feet and you don’t even need to remove spray skirt.

Adjustable footbraces
I move my footbraces depending on the water conditions,

the footwear I’m using, and the way my feet/legs feel.

Occasionally I borrow someones boat and they

use mine, changing the foot position to fit them.

I would never think of ““permanently locking”” them

in by jamming something into them.

Having footbraces you can rely on is important.

The Yakima braces have served me well for 10 years,

never coming loose, loosing position, popping out, etc.

They lock solidly and securely.

here’s the link
https://picasaweb.google.com/stratus5b/KayakModificationsWildernessSystems

it does not “permanently lock” them, instead it’s a safety mechanism to keep the adjuster rods from shifting out of place when you roll. (these seem to be looser on some boats than others)

I like this idea because I rarely move my footpegs on the fly – I’d rather set them correctly at the beginning of the paddle, and ensure they stay there.

these are nice
the style used on P&H kayaks.

Yes, that’s the link!
The Yakima can indeed be adjusted using your toes, but why would you want to do that more than once in a while? I usually adjust mine and they just stay there forever (or at least the time I switch/take off footwear, and I may need to re-adjust once I get in).

I don’t think you can adjust the slider while the tube is in, though it might be possible if the tube is flexy enough… At any rate, easy enough to try until you figure out if you want the yakima.

Alternative is the rails/pedals similar to what are used in P&H boats, I think they are Sea Dog or something like that…

Are these the sea dog pedals you mean
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/reviews/rowan/index.htm

From the looks these require a hand on the rod AND both feet on the pedal if you are sitting in the boat.

I think its yakima for me. Any drawbacks?

Yes
You are right in that mine in the Delphin require a hand and a foot to adjust -;(

The ones in the Scorpio are similar to the WS version, except you twist the rod then pull or push it, so one hand only.

I’ve had Yakima and they work well (neee to install them the right way, they have a channel to drain water and sand from the rail). I did not like the small area of the pedals though. Keep them clean and they slide well. Many I’ve seen have seised and can hardly adjust…

Nothing beats a full foot plate -:wink: or at least a bar so you can move yor feet where you want…

My Experience
The Keeper foot braces are a P.O.S. They pop out of the track under pressure (read rolling). For my WW boats I replaced them with Yakima, which work fine and never change unless I change them. But the Yakima are not comfortable for a multi-hour paddle in a sea kayak and are not adjustable while you are sitting in the kayak.

The foot braces that come with a QCC create pressure points on the bottom of your foot because the pedals are rounded. I removed them and put in Sea Dog. It is easy to adjust the Sea Dog. Just rotate the rod (easy to reach), move the pedal with your foot (also easy), and rotate the rod back. The pedals are flat, which distributes pressure and it is easy to tape foam if you need extra cushioning.

So, in WW conditions where you roll often, go Yakima. For long distance touring go Sea Dog.

Maybe Yakima with Onno Footbar
This might be the ticket.

Not defending Keepers, but I never had
a problem with them whether rolling, or pitoning large rocks. I have Yakimas, I have used them, but I find them seriously in need of ergonomic redesign, and I should probably resell the sets I have, or recycle the aluminum.

On the rounded pedal issue, my feet are so big that, in at least one of my kayaks, the rounded pedal hits me lower on my foot where a pressure point is no problem. But that’s an indiviual thing.

me too
I have also popped Keepers off of their tracks when rolling, although in an open boat, not a kayak.

Years ago, someone was making an aluminum channel that the Keepers footbrace track went into, giving the track enough support to prevent the deformation that resulted in the foot pad popping out, but I haven’t seen those for a long time. They made the Keepers as heavy as Yakima braces anyway so good riddance.

I also prefer Yakima braces to Keepers, although the Keepers are a bit lighter and are OK for less robust use.

wilderness sytems mod.
I did this with a nylon thumb nut\screw and loosen & tighten it by hand when i want to make an adjustment. The nylon doesnt work its way out and is easily turned by hand and easily reached from in the cockpit