For $600 buy lessons or kayak?

I was on this forum long before

– Last Updated: May-29-07 12:36 PM EST –

B & B was added to P-net.
It was one of the best things Brent ever did to get the non- paddlers away from what P-net was originally intended for.
The day that it was added, I decided that I would never go there.
I never have and never will, and a far as I am concerned it doesn't exist.
Talk to me about paddling, nature and the wonders of the world and I'll talk back. Especially if I have a smattering of knowledge on the subject matter.

cheers,
JackL

Paddling Venues?
Kind of agree with much of the above, tho’ if you were talking sea kayaking I’d say lessons first absolutely. The boats cost enough that it really helps to start with lessons so you have a sense of fit and performance to help a good first boat. But I am guessing that much of the family activity will be paddling calm lakes etc, yes?

If any of you want to go for skills like rolling etc, someone above made a good point. You can pick up used, old school WW boats for no more than a couple of hundred dollars. Something like a Dagger Piedra or a Perception Whippet (sp?) would work for the smaller members of your family, and a Pirouette or a Dancer for an average sized guy. You just have to keep your eyes out for these boats because people tend to hang onto them. But eventually they need space int he garage. Take them to a reputable lesson spot inland and they’d work for the skills stuff that the Old Towns may not best support.

Or take a drive to the ocean as suggested.

My guess
50% or more of those recommending lessons over boat didn’t follow that advice themselves.

You know basic water safety, right? And your family does? You understand the assorted dangers of moving water v. flat, cold water v. warm? Get a book or two, a video or two, read the pnet guidelines, and get a boat.

Both
Buy a used boat that will fit your area and paddle needs then take an intro course which should be sub-100 for a 4 hour this is a boat/paddle/ thru here is how to get back in course.

Then paddle and have some fun. Save your dollars and get more training and/or a new boat if you decide you need or want either.

There are many paddlers around who would be more than happy to help you learn the basics, look for a local club or group in your area.

Happy Paddling,

Mark

2nd the motion
Obviously, money is a major consideration. Buy the boats and have fun. Many libraries these days have good kayak instruction videos or buy one.

Also, since you’re in recreational boats, your’re not going to learn all kinds of kayaking skills. You need to know the rules of safety and common sense using those boats. Wear a pfd, be cautions in cold water and don’t do anyting stupid.

Join a paddling group and club, you can learn a lot from them. Many stores have free clinics and demos on intro to kayaking days too.

My .02 cents
Get a DVD on Kayaking, some pocorn and drinks.

Sit back relax and enjoy the DVD. Then go rent a kayak and practice what you watched.

Enjoy

BG