Forward stroke -- how far back?

I attempt the forward stroke like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkUS2fyKgoU

I think he does it properly in the video. I think most people do it wrong.

Yikes! He’s barely rotating, if at all.

– Last Updated: Aug-21-08 2:03 AM EST –

Toward the end, when they point out his "rotation", his zipper is only moving like an inch or two back and forth - and that's coming from his push hand dropping as it comes across, NOT from core rotation. Back of his PFD show little or no motion, and the clincher is his shoulders (and so whole torso) are perpendicular to the keel the whole time.

That hand dropping also has him sinking the blade too deep and digging water back up for wasted energy and a poor release. He also has a weak slow catch and is pulling back before the blade is planted.

Basically, he's arm paddling, with sloppy technique elements throughout - but doing it smoothly enough that some would call it a good stroke (anyone that would call that rotation). Anything works to move a kayak at a moderate pace - but it's not a very good example of optimal technique.

Granted, it could be a lot worse - and gets the basic job done.

I do think it's a great example of what most people do who think their stroke is pretty good though. I paddle like that too sometimes, if in groups or going very slow - and using a GP not an euro.

Actually, he looks like a great candidate to switch to a Greenland paddle as most of what's he's doing poorly can be closer to an optimal casual touring stroke with the GP - and with less tweaks than need to clean up his euro stroke.

For forward stroke technique examples/instruction, I'd second the suggestions of the Reitz or Barton/Chalupski DVDs - or both.

I’m missing something
If you have to increase cadence to keep up with a touring group then you aren’t using a racing stroke. The racing stroke is long and powerfull. To slow to touring speed using a racing stroke results in a cadence that is painfully slow.

I have found
that if I want to minimize my fatigue it is best to take the blade out of the water slightly before it actually goes into the water. This also helps me keep my cadence up. Probably better for short distance paddles than long ones :slight_smile:

Mark